Providing Limited System Administrator Privileges

Providing Limited System Administrator Privileges

by R Bhats -
Number of replies: 2

Good morning community, 

Hoping you may be able to help. We are using the previous (the last I believe) version of Moodle. With this version I was able to create a new user, and attach to a custom created role to that user, not unusual. Specifically this role was required to have the ability to suspend or activate users and secondly to be able to change the duration of an exam.

Now our installation of Moodle, I'm uncertain whether or not our installation is upgraded alongside the general Moodle upgrade. Our developers suggest they don't. 

But by coincidence, this custom role I created no longer worked after the latest Moodle release. So my question is twofold, did the new release eliminate my ability to create a role with some system wide administration capability, and if so, can anyone tell me how I can go about doing this without creating several system administrators which is far from ideal but a workaround.

Please and thank you

Ravi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to R Bhats

Re: Providing Limited System Administrator Privileges

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's been nothing significant changed in the way roles work in years so your issue is likely to be something else. Without the actual version numbers and more details of the problem you are having, it's hard to be certain.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Providing Limited System Administrator Privileges

by R Bhats -
Hi Howard,

The version we have implemented is 3.10.3. And we are using the Bitnami Moodle product if that helps. I'll simplify what I'm looking for rather than speaking to what happened in previous versions.

What I require is a role that has limited access to the 'Site Administration' menu that System Administrators have. I need this role to access only 'Site Administration --> Users' and 'Site Administrator --> Courses'. Every other item on that menu would need to be inaccessible. Please do let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.