Add a new forum topic button and user context menu not working

Add a new forum topic button and user context menu not working

by T JR -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

Today some teachers started reporting that the 'Add a new topic' forum button wasn't working. Then later some reported that they couldn't log out - clicking on the name in the top right didn't display the context menu. Additionally buttons with links ending in #... don't seem to be clickable.

I know that this is not an adaptable issue. Its been working just fine and there haven't been any updates to the site, no changes to the server etc. just normal usage by students & teachers. 

In the console I see Uncaught Error: No define call for theme_boost/loader from line 57 of require.min.js

I have not seen anything about this issue in the forum and I am looking for some guidance how to track down a possible cause. If you have any ideas on things to check I would really appreciate some pointers! 

Release 3.8.1.2, version 2020070106 on Moodle 3.8.4 (Build: 20200713)

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to T JR

Re: Add a new forum topic button and user context menu not working

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If only on one course, then probably somebody has copy / pasted Word content into the content of the course and broken the markup on the page and thus confused the JavaScript (JS). If every single page / course, then something has changed in the output to cause the JS to fail - hence the error message in both instances.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by T JR -
Thanks Gareth, appreciate your suggestions.

It was occuring on admin pages so I ruled out the first, but its good to know that its possible to do. The only reference to theme_boost/loader I could find in the theme files was in footer.php and nofooter.php both of which end with a script to require(['theme_boost/loader']); I deleted the html content of 4 blocks I had in the footer, and disabled the footer (set Footer blocks placement to 'Never') in the adaptable footer settings and all seems to be fine.

I'm aware that turning of the functionailty doesn't fix the cause so am now trying to figure out why theme_boost/loader has recently started to decide not to load as the js file is present.
In reply to T JR

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In that case, it must be the content in those footer blocks that was causing the problem. The 'footer' itself should still be there in terms of either footer.php or nofooter.php as you will need require(['theme_boost/loader']); in order for things to work properly.