RSS feeds not working in 1.6DEV

RSS feeds not working in 1.6DEV

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm testing moodle 1.6 Beta 1 (2006032900) and cannot get the RSS feeds to work.

Either as admin or teacher I go to Manage all my feeds | Add a news feed URL: where I add e.g. a BBC feed such as http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/technology/rss.xml

I click the Validate Feed link, my RSS link does validate. (Congratulations! [Valid RSS] This is a valid RSS feed.)

I click on the Add button and I get this error message:

There was an error loading this rss feed. You may want to verify the url you have specified before using it.

Following exactly the same procedure on my 1.5.3 version (local install) results in successful RSS install. Why???

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: RSS feeds not working in 1.6DEV

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Joseph,

Sorry, this is not a solution, but may help someone find the solution.

When I downloaded and installed 1.6dev on the 20th March, the RSS feeds worked. Yesterday I 'upgraded' to 1.6 Beta (2006032900), I got the same error message that you mention:

There was an error loading this rss feed. You may want to verify the url you have specified before using it.

And yet, the exact same rss feeds work when loaded on an older moodle (1.5.2+), and on 1.6 dev.

Also, I note that someone has had this same problem before:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25534

Any ideas will be most welcome.

In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Peter,
I have enabled debug and this is the message I get now (on top of "There was an error loading this rss feed. You may want to verify the url you have specified before using it."):
Notice: Use of undefined constant MAGPIE_PROXY_HOST - assumed 'MAGPIE_PROXY_HOST' in C:\moodle\www\moodle16beta\moodle\lib\magpie\rss_fetch.inc on line 282
any help anyone?
Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -
Found a solution which works (on my local computer Moodle install): I just commented out these 2 lines in C:\moodle\www\moodle16beta\moodle\lib\magpie\rss_fetch.inc:
//    $client->proxy_host = MAGPIE_PROXY_HOST;
//    $client->proxy_port = MAGPIE_PROXY_PORT;
Joseph

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Joseph,

Thank you!

Commenting out those two lines solved the problem. The RSS feeds now work big grin!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Still no luck with adding RSS feed, now using Moodle 1.6 beta 3 on localhost.
I have commented out the 2 proxy lines in \lib\magpie\rss_fetch.inc as explained in my previous post.
But I still get this error message:
url not defined for rss feed
and, if I activate debug in admin config, I get further error message:
print_header() was called more than once - this should not happen. Please check the code for this page closely, a common culprit is a call to error() after print_header().
Any help appreciated.
Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -
Still no luck with adding RSS feed, now using Moodle 1.6 beta 5 on localhost.
I have commented out the 2 proxy lines in \lib\magpie\rss_fetch.inc as explained in my previous post.
But I still get this error message:
url not defined for rss feed
and, if I activate debug in admin config, I now get a different error message from my previous post (21 April):
Notice: Undefined variable: url in C:\moodle\www\moodle16beta\moodle\blocks\rss_client\block_rss_client_action.php on line 44
Any help appreciated.
Joseph

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Works for me now big grin

Nicolas
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Joseph Rézeau -
Yes, it works now, thanks to Yu.cool
Bug #5438 is closed.
Joseph

by Just H -
Hi all

As SourceForge is still being a pain in the proverbial can someone please post the fixed file or email it to me - doing a show and tell tomorrow and would be good if it was working.

Thanks
Harry

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Same problem here with Moodle 1.6 Beta 5 (2006050500) :-(
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Joseph Rézeau -