Course Overview: "Assignments/Quizzes/etc." Links and "Need Attention" Messages

Course Overview: "Assignments/Quizzes/etc." Links and "Need Attention" Messages

by Jason Press -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I'm in the process of updating a Moodle installation from version 2.8.5+ to 3.11.4+, while also switching over from the Essential theme to Boost.

In 2.8.5+, the "My Home" page > "Course Overview" block lists links to incomplete assignments/quizzes/etc. (at least ones that have "Due Dates" defined) along with a "This needs attention" message.

In 3.11.4+, the same area ("Dashboard") doesn't seem to include the same list and messages in the overhauled "Course Overview" area.

I noticed that the Course Overview block has been moved to legacy plugin status (and isn't clearly being maintained/supported anymore) and a number of changes and improvements have been implemented in the core Course Overview area (involving "Activity Completion," for example). However, I haven't been able to find any specific information regarding the old list of links and the "This needs attention" messages.

I thought that perhaps the criteria required for these messages to be displayed had changed (it used to be listed in the Moodle documentation). But I've tried a variety of configurations (basically enabling everything related to Activity completion, due dates, cut-off dates, etc.) and haven't been able to get the messages to show up.

My program uses a custom grading system in which everything is graded as either "Received" or "Resubmit." So, it has been quite useful for students to be able to review which assignments/quizzes/etc. have either not been received (i.e., not submitted yet) or need to be resubmitted (as determined by the Teacher). 

Can anyone shed any light on this situation for me and let me know if these links/messages still exist in Moodle and, if so, what it takes to get them to show up?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Press

Re: Course Overview: "Assignments/Quizzes/etc." Links and "Need Attention" Messages

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This is really intriguing Jason, so I've done some digging around and whilst I don't know why exactly the functionality was removed, looking at: https://github.com/thepurpleblob/moodle-block_course_overview/blob/master/locallib.php#L60 it uses a core function in a module, e.g. https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_37_STABLE/mod/assign/lib.php#L572 - where Moodle 3.7 was the last to have it implemented. I do know from the activity information in the Adaptable theme and Collapsed Topics course format that with cohorts / groups / activity restrictions that determining who can attempt a module is more complex than it was before and this could be a factor in the decision making process.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Course Overview: "Assignments/Quizzes/etc." Links and "Need Attention" Messages

by Jason Press -
Hi Gareth, thanks for the digging! That is a very reasonable theory.
In reply to Jason Press

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jason,

I have personally never used the feature you mentioned, so I might be wrong…

But: Have you evaluated the timeline block? My understanding was that most functionality from the old overview block (not all of it) was retained but split into the new course overview block and a separate timeline block.

The course overview block now has the purpose to show all enrolled courses, and the timeline block to show all due activities. (Based on the expected completion date by the way, which is unfortunately only supporting fixed dates, not relative ones 😫)

From moodle 4.0 onwards it will even be split into two pages by default - enrolled courses will be on a my courses page, the good old dashboard (/my) will display the (enhanced) timeline block and the (enhanced) calendar block.

Hope this helps!
Stefan
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Jason Press -
Thanks Stefan, I did some testing with the Timeline block and can confirm you are correct!

And thank you for mentioning the plans for this area, that's very good to know!