Moodle as a Conference Management System

Moodle as a Conference Management System

by piersante sestini -
Number of replies: 7
I should organize a series of conferences in the next few months.

I have no knowledge of dedicated Conference Management Systems (such as Openconf), so I would be willing to use Moodle for that. However, while I am sure that in that way I would spare a lot of time/hassle, not having to learn yet another environment, I don't have any idea of what (if anything) I would be missing.

What are the main advantages of using a dedicated Conference Management System (such as Openconf) as compared to Moodle fot this kind of activities?

thanks,
Piersante
Average of ratings: -
In reply to piersante sestini

Re: Moodle as a Conference Management System

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There are huge labor intensive activities that Moodle is not automated to do.  I have fascilited and organized numerous teacher conferences and we do it all manually except for steering committee coordination via Moodle forums.  If you had $5000, you could make a decent Moodle conference management module that processes submissions, makes schedules, provides interactive pre and post conference forums.  We are even experimenting with a real-time evaluation/ratings system in Moodle via mobile phones (just one piece of the puzzle).
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Don - Are you bidding on the job? I have been asked to look into an open source solution. OpenConf did not seem to be what we were looking for. I know there was talk of doing this with choice. I suspect that once we get to roles in Moodle 1.7 we might be able to do something more fancy with it. In any case, I was just curious if you know of any other open source projects for scheduling parent/teacher conference. Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Peter Sereinigg -

Hi, would be easier to help, if you describe WHAT such a system should do, we use Openconf - but without problems .... and we used moodle to organize conferences like Dan without problems ....

Peter

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm looking for a way for parents of students to go in and setup a ten minute parent/teacher conference with a teacher of their child. Currently parents call in and request a conference and then volunteers manually do the scheduling. It would be nice if the parents could sign up online for a time.

by Peter Sereinigg -

use the schedule modul from Gustav Delius (Activity Moduls).

Because useres have to sign on, make a course with the children as members and there you use this modul for signing up.

This is the way i organise my consultation hours

Peter

by Martín Langhoff -
Is COMAS on your list of options? http://wiki.consol.org.mx/comas -- even though the page seems to imply it's unfinished, it's been used to organise quite a few FOSS conferences I've been to. Maybe because Gunnar Wolf was involved in all of them wink

But, then again, you can always invite him to your conf, he's a great guy!

OTOH, I agree with Don that if you can narrow down the bits you think are missing, and put some effort and/or money behind that, Moodle can be made to help conference organising quite a bit.

We've used it for MoodleMootNZ and it's worked well for the registration handling and social parts; and yet probably a few things could be tweaked here and there.