Multiple Enrollment Methods

Multiple Enrollment Methods

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 6

Happy Tuesday Moodlers!

Are there any issues with having a Learner enrolled in a course twice with two different enrollment methods?  Not going to go into how this happened - it just did and I am wondering if I need to remove the duplicate enrollment method.  

Version of Moodle - 3.10

Enrollment methods - self and manual

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Multiple Enrollment Methods

by Mohammad Nabil -
no problem
as example , i use self enrolment and make it for 1 hour as a trial for my courses , and when user want long access , i may use manual , cohort , credit ...... according to what i want .
you will see that the same user is inactive regarding to self enrollment , and active without editing gear if enrollment via cohort , if he active with one methode and inactive voia othe , the active status is the real staus
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Vardaan S. Rathore -
Hello Jackie,

I am not really sure how the same user can enrolled through 2 different enrolment methods. But I am not going to head towards that conversation.

That been said, this might cause complications with Gradebook, because the same user is going to be read twice by Moodle. I would suggest that your confirm whether the users are actually one and the same, and remove one if both happens be a single user.
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's not a problem and you don't need to remove either of them if they are not interfering with any other reports etc.
It's not uncommon for this to happen with multiple enrolment methods active
eg
A student may be directly enrolled on a module, but may also be enrolled on it through a cohort link, or meta-link
A user maybe automatically enrolled with one role, but manually enrolled with a different role

They are still a single user on the course, so there is no conflict with them having multiple enrolment methods as far as gradebook or participants lists etc are concerned.

If you feel you need to, you can remove one of the enrolment methods, though
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Vardaan S. Rathore -
A student already enrolled in a course will not be able enrolled again if they are enrolled using course meta link method. Same goes for any other method. Moodle will not allow it.

And that is why I feel it's a bugged out user. I did have a user once who was enrolled twice through LTI and self-enrolment(maybe), It caused issues while grading and other reports.

Best is to delete the user to avoid any further confusion and technical difficulties.
In reply to Vardaan S. Rathore

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, but that's where using an external system such as LTI can actually create a 2nd user account (albeit for the same person). Self and manual enrolments are two enrolment types on a single user (at least that's how I read the question). If there are actually 2 different accounts for the same user, that, as you say, is a whole different game and will create issues, with one of those users needing to be removed. But very difficult to see how that can happen with the enrolment methods mentioned.
A single user can, and often does, have multiple enrolment methods - and these do not interfere with each other and do not need to be removed unless interfering with some other aspect such as an external integration.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)