*** The Dream: Editing in-place in the gradebook ***

*** The Dream: Editing in-place in the gradebook ***

by Nathan Lind -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Howdy Moodlers!

I would love your feedback on a couple ideas for improving the usability of the Moodle "Gradebook Setup" for teachers:

1. Edit max grades in-place - screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx124dy8w73n9po/Edit%20max%20grades%20in-place.png?dl=0
  2. Allow drag and drop of activities - screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sidrq6fr12df6wu/Allow%20drag%20and%20drop%20in%20gradebook.png?dl=0 
  3. Allow renaming of activities in-place - screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jtvqp33012egav/Add%20pencil%20for%20renaming%20activities%20in%20gradebook.jpg?dl=0
  4. Allow editing the grade aggregation method via the bottom "Edit" - screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/18ius459lni6rjg/Allow%20editing%20grade%20aggregation%20method%20via%20bottom%20Edit%20too.png?dl=0

Anyone else think these would be helpful? Doable?

In reply to Nathan Lind

Re: *** The Dream: Editing in-place in the gradebook ***

by Molly Noble -
Nathan, and Moodlers,

I'm in support of these gradebook changes as well.

Being able to edit in place, and easily click and drag items would make the gradebook interface much more user-friendly for our faculty. Also, having the grade aggregation type hidden behind an edit link associated with the course name is confusing. Faculty don't know where to look for it. Adding it to the edit link next to the course total would be more intuitive.

Molly
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As the order of the activities gets "out of order" over time, and the list gets a little but chaotic, when compaired to the actual sort order of the activities in the course front page, we added the following features:
1. Next to each activity, inside brackets, the name of the topic/section in which the activity is available in.
2. A new button "Auto sort" all the activities in the same order as they are available on the course main page

If this is something that others will like to have too, I would be happy to uploaded the patches to the tracker.
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Nathan Lind -
Hello Nadav,
Thanks for sharing your workarounds. I'd appreciate seeing the patches, so thanks for sharing. I do also hope Moodle HQ will choose to include the additional items I've suggested above (drag and drop in gradebook, and editing the activity names and max points in-place in gradebook).
Thanks again.
Nathan
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I will get the patches attached here, and if Moodle HQ is interested... I will also create tracker issues for them.
We are about to develop on our own the "drag and drop in gradebook" feature.
When it is ready, I will upload a patch for it too.
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Eric Evans -
These changes would be a welcome addition to the gradebook.

Eric Evans
Union College
Executive Director: Information Technology
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Susan Hadjiyanis -
I agree with the suggestions Nathan has listed above.
Anything to make Moodle more user-friendly/intuitive and less guess-work will benefit all who are involved.
Thank you,
Susan

In reply to Nathan Lind

by Phineas Head -
Outstanding post, I heartily agree. Some related features I asked for now nearly 8 years ago (like Outcomes displaying to Students!) but while 'pedagogical' and 'data' aspects receive attention, core learning-administration aspects like the Gradebook seem sometimes to get overlooked. If an institution uses Moodle as the all-encompassing system that it's intended to be, rather than just as a pool of links, then the Gradebook is the absolute epicentre of all that activity so it would be great to see this stuff prioritised.
In reply to Phineas Head

by Nathan Lind -
Thanks Phineas. I am hopeful Moodle HQ is putting more resources into fixing longstanding issues. Let's keep the conversation going.