Learning PLans Block not visible - Moodle 3.10+

Learning PLans Block not visible - Moodle 3.10+

by Dave Emsley -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

Struggling to get to grips with the concepts and ideas behind learning plans but according to the page - https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Learning_plans_block - I should be able to add a Learning Plans Block to the Dashboard and it doesn't appear in the list of blocks for my Admin user to add.

Any thoughts and advice please.

Thanks In Advance

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Emsley

Re: Learning PLans Block not visible - Moodle 3.10+

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is the block definitely enabled in Site admin > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Emsley -
Hi Mary. Yes it definitely is. It also says there are 2 instances which seems odd to me too.

Thanks
Dave
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Emsley -
This is getting even more frustrating as I first thought the issue was related to the Learning Plan not being populated. However I now discover I can now add a Learning Plan block to the Home Page but not to the Dashboard, or the Default Dashboard.
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is strange since you are presumably admin and can do whatever you like on the site. There is a capability block/lp:myaddinstance to add the learning plans block to the dashboard  but it should not affect you as admin.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Emsley -
It gets even weirded - I've created a Competencies framework, attached it to a learning plan, and NOW the Learning Plan block has appeared at the top, in the middle of the dashboard.

I guess it remains hidden until a valid one is created?

Thanks Mary
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Mary Cooch -
It is weird because on the sandbox site https://sandbox.moodledemo.net/ the admin can add a learning plans block to the Dashboard even if the site has no competency frameworks and hence no learning plans. Of course the block only appears in editing mode but it is possible to add it.
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
To be specific: the Learning plans block only displays for users who are associated with a learning plan, as a student / participant OR as a Learning Plan supervisor / assessor. If you as a user have no association with a learning plan, it doesn't make sense to display the block to you. This automatic hide feature keeps the dashboard clean for users who aren't working with competencies and learning plans yet.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Dave Emsley -
Bit of a delay in saying thanks but thank you Joost and Mary. All is clearer now.