Moodle Course and Teams sync

by Ross Lovell -
Number of replies: 7
I'm using the Microsoft 365 Integration to enable my school's teachers to use their Moodle courses inside of their teams. When syncing users does it sync from both the Moodle course and the team the course is attached to. For example:

• Does adding or removing users in the team get synced across to Moodle course
  • If the a Moodle course is connected to an existing team does the members and owners already in the team get merged with the participants from the Moodle course?

Many of our teachers will want to use their Moodle courses in their teams but manage the membership from within Teams.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Ross Lovell -
I have another question:

What happens if you add more than one Moodle course to an existing team? For instance I have a team already created (with no Moodle course attached to it) with members in it. I then add the first Moodle course (Course #1) which has different participants to the members already in the team. I then add a second Moodle course (Course #2) with different participants to the team and Course #1. Both of the Course #1 and Course #2 appear as tabs within the team and can be accessed but what happens to the members of the team and the participants in both in Course #1 and Course #2.

Ideally in the above situation I'd like all of the users to be merged together so that the team and the Course #1 and Course #2 have the same members/participants without any being removed from them. And if any changes are made to the membership within the Team I'd like that be reflected across the Course #1 and Course #2 while they are attached to the team.

I'm using the following:

Moodle 3.11.3+
(Build: 20211102)

Microsoft 365 Integration 3.11.1
In reply to Ross Lovell

Re: Moodle Course and Teams sync

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't understand what you mean when you say "add a Moodle course to the Team" and the courses "appear as tabs within the Team". Are you adding a "Website" tab?
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Ross Lovell -
Thank for your reply Eoin and sorry for the confusion.

I've created a Teams Moodle app and loaded it into our schools Teams App Store following the instructions for the Microsoft 365 Integration plugin (see Step 4: Deploy your Microsoft Teams app).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/install-moodle-integration
https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Microsoft_365#Add_Moodle_app_to_Teams

The app creates tabs to Moodle courses specified within the Teams sync settings in Moodle or a user can click on the + button and select the Moodle app within Teams and specify the course they wish to add to their team as a tab.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
No and no. The Team membership/course enrolment relationship is one-way: from the Moodle course to the Team. Changes to Team membership have no effect on the Moodle course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Ross Lovell -
Thank you for your reply Eorin. It's a shame that the membership/course enrolment relationship isn't two way. I can foresee a number of our teachers won't want add Moodle courses to their teams because of this. At least the departments who are heavily invested in Moodle will get some use out of it.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Ross Lovell -
Okay, new question. If I've added a Moodle course to a pre-existing team, how do I safely remove the course from the team so that the connection to Moodle is removed but the team and all of its members remain?

In the Teams Customization  area if I uncheck the sync options for Group only and Teams for the Moodle course (to set them back to default) the team is deleted from Microsoft Teams which is what I want to avoid.

Moodle Teams Sync Settings
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Ross Lovell -

I've been looking into this further noticed that when you go to the Microsoft 365 Integration plugin options and click on the Advanced settings tab and open the Manage Team Connections link to Connect a Moodle course the dropdown menu has the Not connected option shown by default.

Moodle course Teams connection menu

However once a Moodle course is connected to a MS team the Not connected option disappears and I can't find a way to remove the connection. The only option appears to be to connect the course to another team.

As I mentioned what I'm looking for is a way to remove the connection between the Moodle course and the MS team without the team being deleted in the process.

If anyone has any help or advise on this it would be a huge help.