Edit Settings option no longer available for the faculty

Edit Settings option no longer available for the faculty

by Sali Kaceli -
Number of replies: 8

I have a course where the faculty all of a sudden cannot access the edit settings or the cog (gear) icon is no longer available. He has the teacher role in the course. For me as the admin, I can see the edit settings. 

Steps to reproduce the problem: 

Click on the item on the main course page. 

The cog icon not available on the right hand side to modify the item. 

Issue started all of a sudden. 

Environment: 

Moodle 3.11 LAMP

Rebooted the server to no avail. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

Re: Edit Settings option no longer available for the faculty

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Just one course? Check the teacher role...and the permissions...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Sali Kaceli -
It almost looks like a caching issue of some sort at the course level. If you click on Edit Settings from the main course page, you can get to the edit properties.

I cleared the cache for both the theme and the server 'purge caches' to no avail. Resetting the theme at the course level seems to work.

We are using the Moove theme. Same Moove theme works fine for other courses.
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Sali Kaceli -
We are now finding that other courses and activities have the same issue where the action menu (gear icon) does not display for those with the editing role and permissions.
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Sali Kaceli -
I think we found the solution. It seems to have to do with the end date in the course when using the Moove theme. Changing the end date for the courses to something in the future seems to do the trick.

We used PHPmyAdmin to update them in bulk.
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Dave Foord -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I have just experienced exactly the same behaviour - again with Moodle 3.11 and the Moove theme. I tried changing the course end date to something in the future, but this didn't resolve the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?
In reply to Dave Foord

by Dave Foord -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Further testing of the above issue - I have changed theme and the same issue persists, so I don't think it is the Moove theme as such. Also it is affecting some courses but not all - but I cannot work out what is different between the courses.
In reply to Dave Foord

by Carly Born -
I am having this problem, too! And it's only when I Login as the teacher of the course that it happens. When viewing as an admin, I see the menu. The Actions menu is just not generated for the teacher. It feels like a permissions thing, but I cannot work out which one!
In reply to Carly Born

by Lambert Famorca -
Has this issue been resolved? I experienced this issue in setting custom certificates. The cog displays for some courses and does not display for others. My workaround to quickly switch themes (Boost). I am using Moodle 3.11 with Moove theme.