Feature Request > Multilanguage settings in Course Completion

by Alice Appelstroop -
Number of replies: 2

When you have a bulky Moodle site with thousands of users in different countries, it can be really handy to have all the language versions of a particular subject on one course page. 

The problem is that when using course completion by a selection of activities in such a course, you can not specify the required activities per language. As a consequence of which none of the users will have the course marked as completed.

Therefore I think it would be a really helpful addition to have multilanguage settings in course completion. 
For instance to enable you to select the required activities per language. Maybe by having a column for each language that lists all the activities. (Dependent on using the restriction by language or so).

Or that you can select several activities with an "OR"-statement. 

Ie:
Required activity 1 = "Introduction_EN" OR "Introduction_FR" OR "Introduzione_IT"

I already posted a feature request over here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-72804

If you think this is a useful addition as well: Please vote smile

If you have ideas about how to achieve this in code then please add your comments.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alice Appelstroop

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Alice,

This is a very common issue - course completion criteria are somewhat limited. And unfortunately, they are not „pluggable“, i.e. plugins cannot change them (at least to my knowledge - if it is possible, please someone tell me how and we’ll build it).

That’s why we built Pulse - an activity which can be used to create better completion workflows. It has a special completion criteria simply called „complete when available“.

Availability is determined by availability conditions, for example:
- activity completion
- language
- grade
… and many more.

The beauty about availability conditions is that there are lots of them, and they can be extended. AND, maybe even more importantly, they support AND/OR operators and you can even group them. Literally no limits!

One scenario which we had in our minds was yours:

- learning content EN
- learning content FR
- learning content IT
- learning content DE

—> student needs to complete at least one.

To accomplish that, create a pulse activity, restrict its availability to activity completion any of the four activities, and set activity completion of pulse to complete when available. Then, set the course completion criteria to the pulse, instead of the actual learning activities.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers
Stefan

Link: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_pulse
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Stefan Scholz

Re: Feature Request > Multilanguage settings in Course Completion

by Alice Appelstroop -
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.
Fantastic! Your plugin looks like it can fulfill a lot of the wishes we have for our Moodle installation.

I absolutely agree that current course completion settings in Moodle are somewhat limited. In my opinion it would be great when a future release of Moodle enables more customization for these settings.

In the meantime I will install your plugin on our testserver and play around a bit with the possibilitites. smile

Thanks again,

Alice