The first steps for a beginner

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 5
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: The first steps for a beginner

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Andrea. I suggest you get a free MoodleCloud site (you can test it and see if you like it for 45 days before deciding whether to pay for it) and then definitely do the Admin Basics and Moodle Teaching Basics courses on Learn.moodle.org - they are designed for people like you. They are free and you can do them any time you want for as long as you want. You will need to create a separate account for MoodleCloud and a separate account for Learn Moodle  - but you can use the same details on each one if you like.
Also check out Moodle Academy, our learning hub for the global Moodle community.

Once you have more experience teaching with Moodle, you can look at this presentation I did on Teaching languages with Moodle:
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

In reply to Deleted user

Re: The first steps for a beginner

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I would suggest:
1) Listen to Mary.
2) Consider installing an experimental Moodle on your computer. Here is one reference.
MoodleMoot2019 (Global and Mountain), "How to Install a “Sandbox” Moodle on Your Windows PC/Mac" 

About having students "pay," Moodle provides a PayPal feature. Yes, read the docs frequently.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Ri: Re: The first steps for a beginner

by Paul Raper -
Hi Andrea,
All very sound advice. I started out from right where you are now some 20 odd years ago. I had a local ISP set me up a Moodle instance which gave me control over my own application. There are, however, downsides to that approach, the main one being that you are in the hands of others to provide your support. I certainly would not necessarily go with a so called Moodle partner in your country since many of them charge exorbitant sums for their services, which in many instances is not always much better than you can get from a cheaper local provider.
I would certainly look at the suggestion Mary made since in the current times, Moodle now offers way more than they could back in the early days. Whether or not you feel comfortable installing the application on a local machine is a matter only you can know, but as one language teacher to another, Moodle is a fantastic choice of platform: good luck.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)