moodledata/temp/backup/

moodledata/temp/backup/

by Gimme Gimmer -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone, I am writing to you because I have a huge problem and I really hope someone will help me:

every hour a "backup" of a media content is made in the moodledata/temp/backup/randomdirname directory the file belonged to a course, but this content has been removed. The file turns out to be present in the moodledata/filedir/XX/XX/contenthash folder and in the related database there is an entri for the same contenthash in the suffix_files table. The file is not present in the recycle bin and the autobackup function has not been enabled on the course in question. How is it possible to identify the scheduled activity and/or prevent it from continuously recreating a copy of the file?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gimme Gimmer

Re: moodledata/temp/backup/

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Question: what is the file type of moodledata/filedir/XX/XX/contenthash?

From command line:

file -b moodledata/filedir/XX/XX/contenthash

Will/should show a mimetype.   That then might provide a clue.

Also, do a query of mdl_files that match that contenthash value to display the humanly recognizable filename (filename column).   That too might be a clue.

Know the following sounds crazy, but .....

from command line and in moodledata/temp/backup/randomdirname/

See what's being built by ls -lR command.

if one were to rm -fR * at that location, then wait a little while, one might see the re-creation of something ... trying to finish what it has not finished.  (if that makes sense)

Guess: something is still trying to complete because it's an ad_hoc task which is a que of task that did not complete via cron for some reason.   The ad_hock task is scheduled to run every hour.

I helping someone who reported 'run away backup filling up disk' it was hard to determine ... and had to monitor via command line.   Seeing what was being created ... filetype ... gave a clue which then led to discovery of the issue.

Site had a forever course and the first activity in that course asked students to create a self-video intro of themselves.   Site Admin decided that had to go ... 7000 users videos had to be removed.   Cron/ad_hoc task struggling with delection of the one activity.   Clue was in course at the bottom ... where it showed an Activity deletion in progress.

Got anything like that?

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Ri: Re: moodledata/temp/backup/

by Gimme Gimmer -
I solved it, thank you very much Ken!
In reply to Gimme Gimmer

Re: Ri: Re: moodledata/temp/backup/

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Good to hear, but mind sharing what the solution was? ... for others who might have similar issue.

'SoS', Ken