UX of quizzes

UX of quizzes

by Oliver Bay -
Number of replies: 10

I would like to vote for a better UX of quizzes.

Now (3.11) you click on (1) Finish attempt, then (2) Submit all and finish, then in the pop-up window again (3) Submit all and finish. So three clicks to finish a quiz is at least one click too much. 

Please allow a one click finish in Moodle 4.0! Make users happy 😃 again.

Oliver

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oliver Bay

Re: UX of quizzes

by Hugo Ribeiro -
I disagree. This prevents students submitting by mistake. As of right now, is virtually impossible to submit without wanting to. IMHO this is very important.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Oliver Bay -
Hi Hugo!
Imagine a class where the students are writing a test on paper. One student has finished his test, walks to the teacher and hands the test in. Then the teacher tells him: „Are you sure? Do you really want to hand in this test. Go back to your seat and check it again!“ May be this is kind for one time, but not the second time. Likely in Moodle: At least the second click in the pop up window is annoying. So please stop it.
Furthermore, there are situations where one do not want the whole big background of those quizzes. Just a quick self assessment where the student can check if (s)he had understood the text with some quick questions. The teacher need not even know the result.
To make things short: Please, Moodle!, let me decide whether I want to use the full loaded background behind the quizzes or just a quick self assessment - with one click.
At least the second pop up window is not useful.
Cheers
Oliver
In reply to Oliver Bay

by Tim Hunt -
I remember what supporting Moodle quizzes was like before we added these steps, and I agree with Hugo.

Your example is not very good. Standing up and walking to the front of the class is not something you could do by accident. Clicking the wrong button in a web page is very easy to do.

(However, I would like an option to reduce the number of clicks for informal quizzes. Perhaps one day it will get implemented. I am sure there is already a tracker issue for this.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -

Oliver,

Just a quick self assessment where the student can check if (s)he had understood the text with some quick questions. The teacher need not even know the result.

Use the "Embed questions filter" (https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_embedquestion) which is just great for that.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Oliver Bay -
Dominique,
thank you. I will look over it.
Oliver
In reply to Oliver Bay

by Dominique Bauer -

Oliver,

You will find embed questions in most topics of the FORMULAS QUESTION BANK and CORE QUESTION TYPES sections at https://moodleformulas.org/ ↗. To name just one, see for example https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=106&section=5 ↗.

To embed a question is very easy:

• First install the following plugins:
  • Place the question in a question bank context other than the quiz context, for example in the course context.
  • Give an ID number to the category in which the question is placed and an ID number to the question.
  • Use the "Embed question" Atto editor button to embed the question.
  • There you go.

There is also a plugin to track the progress on embed questions, but its use is optional: Embedded questions progress ↗.

In general, double checking is preferable. I don't think it will be changed. On the other hand, it may be perceived as redundant in your quizzes. In fact, you are not the only one in this case. A workaround is to use a small script that skips the double check. Skip Summary of attempt ↗ doesn't exactly do what you want, but it will give you an idea of what you can do with such a script.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Oliver Bay -
Tim, sure helping the students not doing sth by accident is OK. But no need for asking two times.
I insist: Please stop asking the same question the second time.
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Max Aver -
Oliver is right: most of the LMS/LCMS/LXP doesn't have this bug (or - obsolete feature), certainly not by default.