Nested Gradebook categories

by Jon Witts -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all,

I have a gradebook set up with nested categories as shown below:

The graded items exist in the Programming part1 and Programming part 2 categories, and each of these categories belongs to the Programming category. I was expecting that the Programming category would aggregate the totals of its child categories.

Is this not the case? It does not appear to be in my setup; yet it seems logical to me that it should... 

Thanks,

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Can you post the gradebook setup view?
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Nested Gradebook categories

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sure; sorry for the delay!

In reply to Jon Witts

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The only thing that looks off here is that your "01 - Programming part 1" and "02" categories show "0" in the white box in the middle of the page. I think it's changing the weight to 0. Not sure but I suggesting clicking "Edit - Edit Settings" next to the "01 - Programming part 1" category, scroll to the bottom and toggle open the "parent category" section. See if Weight Adjusted is enabled and consider disabling it if so just to see if you can get things to calculate. Otherwise, the setup looks ok to me so I dont know what else would prevent it from calculating something.
In reply to Jon Witts

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, you need to change the categories' weights to not be zero for them to count...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jon Witts -
Thanks both.

I have set the weight for each sub-category to 1.0 and also changed the "02" category to "Weighted mean of grades" and all seems well now smile

Here is how my setup looks now:

And the parent category is now showing the calculated grades as expected: