User Default Role as Learner

User Default Role as Learner

by Amit Sharma -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

we are facing some issue in moodle default role configuration. we have  some custom role

1. Instructor

2. Coordinator

3. Reporting Manager

4. Controlling manager

5. Learner

we want default role all the user should applicable as learner, but its showing last assigned role. 

Administration->Users->Permissions->User policies with this path i have set all user default role as learner which is archetype students.

Thanks,

Amit Sharma 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amit Sharma

Re: User Default Role as Learner

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
What context types is this role set to use?

The archetype Student role is set to be assignable only in course and activity context. While the default Authenticated user has no assignable contexts: the setting in User policies means it is defined as the default then the user logs in.

If you want this new custom role to work like Authenticated user, it would need to able to be used when they log in and not just assignable in courses.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Amit Sharma -
Dear Randy Thornton,

Thanks for your reply. we are using learner role system level and we have assigned all the users default learner role. Some of the user have multiple role like reporting manager, controlling manager and learner. we have created all role system context but when user has logged in system he is getting default role as Reporting manager. i want it should be learner.

Thanks,
Amit
In reply to Amit Sharma

by Randy Thornton -
The only place you can set the default role are in the User policies :: Default role for all users. However, there is the Front page role as well, the Front page settings, which normally would be the Authenticate user on the Front page.

When the user logs in, both the default role and any system roles are assigned at the same time. Practically speaking, it should not make a lot of difference in applying permissions as to what they do.

How do you know the user is having the default role of Reporting manager as opposed to this being a system level role? Have you checked the report on Site administration > Users > Permissions >Check system permissions for this particular user?
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Amit Sharma -
Hi Randy Thornton,

I have assigned the default role as Learner. we are facing the issue all the user, they are not getting default role as learner. I am sharing user system permission 

Thanks,
Amit Kumar
In reply to Amit Sharma

by Randy Thornton -
The role Learner in System can mean it is either the default role or a system level role. It shows up the same. See my screenshot of how this looks in standard Moodle with the Authenticated user as default role.

So, you can not know from this report whether the role is the default or another system level role.

You will know that because the default role is set in the User policies > Default role and also that this role does not need to have the System set in its contexts in the role definition, while an assignable System level role must have System set as its context. (As you can see in the second screenshot.)

Attachment screenshot_10399.jpg
Attachment screenshot_10400.jpg