Connect moodle DB to PowerBI

Connect moodle DB to PowerBI

by Trivnesh Trikesh -
Number of replies: 6
I am new to Moodle, could someone guide me on how to connect moodle DB to PowerBI to perform analytics
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trivnesh Trikesh

Re: Connect moodle DB to PowerBI

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
See if this video helps. It's a little old, however.

(William, this discussion could also fit in the "Analytics and Reporting."  I'll leave it up to you to decide.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Trivnesh Trikesh -
Hi Rick, the link was indeed useful, would you know where I could find the name of my moodle cloud database to connect on PowerBI

Attachment moodle.JPG

by Rick Jerz -
No, I don't know. I am not a MoodleCloud support person, but you might ask for help in the MoodleCloud forum.

My guess is that you will not be allowed to connect to the MoodleCloud database. You have to appreciate that MoodleCloud serves many people, and I doubt that they will allow access to the database because it would give you access to others' personal data. But I might be wrong.

Perhaps the best that you will be able to do is to backup your courses, with users, and restore them on a local Moodle. I don't know how much data accompanies that backup, however.

I run my own Moodle, so I have complete access to my database for things like PowerBI and Tableau.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Trivnesh Trikesh -
Thanks Rick, you have been a great help to me. I went ahead with the suggestion of running Moodle on my localhost, would you know how can I restore the MoodleCloud backup onto my local Moodle.

I do have the backup of MoodleCloud but I am just not sure how to get it restored on my local

by Rick Jerz -
My guess is that you have a course backup, not a database backup.

Have you tried restoring this by clicking on the right-side gear, and picking "restore?"