Implications of removing required status for firstname/lastname

Implications of removing required status for firstname/lastname

by Max D. -
Number of replies: 1

Hi !

I'm currently preparing the migration of thousands of external students into a Moodle 3.9 install and I just discovered that in very specific circumstances, some of them lack either a first name or a last name which so far hadn't posed much of a problem as the school I work for used its own mix of technologies and frameworks.

After trying a thing or two (like adding   in one of the two fields, which kind of works amusingly enough 😅) I found that I could remove their required status just by changing the $necessarynames array on line 430 of user/editlib.php which bypasses the issue but I'm worried this may break things down the line.

Has anyone faced this situation before and which solutions did you end up going for ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max D.

Re: Implications of removing required status for firstname/lastname

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ran into this once and wound up doing it like we did in the US Army. Had a student with no middle name, so I used, NMI, for No Middle Initial. Could also use NMN, NFN, or NLN for No Middle Name, No First Name, and No Last Name.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)