Quiz - Short Answer Formatting lost when delivered as LTI

Quiz - Short Answer Formatting lost when delivered as LTI

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 3

Tested as an LTI provider: Moodle versions 3.9.6 plus 3.9. plus 3.11+
Tested as an LTI receiver: Moodle versions 3.9.6+ plus 3.10.4

Good afternoon all,

After many hours of methodical and extensive testing, where we have tested with and without other plugins being installed so as to eliminate those as a possible causes, we believe we have revealed a bug.

Here's what we've found.

In brief, the moodle text editor is removed from the question answer box (essay question with response format set to 'HTML Editor' ) when the question is presented to the candidate. If the candidate manually formats their answer by inserting new lines for paragraphs e.t.c. and then submits their answer, the manual formatting is not saved in the moodle database.

This makes it difficult for the markers of the question to read, and therefore is both time consuming and annoying which can result in standardisation errors in the manual marking.

We set the question format to HTML Editor, because we want the candidates to be able to format their answers, but it doesn't seem possible.

The problem only occurs when a combination of two moodle settings are applied.

The quiz is delivered as an LTI activity
The quiz has a 'duration' time set (i.e exam lasts 60 mins e.t.c.)

If we switch off the quiz duration, the problem goes away, but the duration is important for our examination scenario.

We believe this to be a bug in the core moodle that has not been raised by anyone else therefore we will raise it on Moodle Tracker, but first I'd welcome others from the community to follow our testing procedure to verify our diagnostic outcome.

See the video below for an illustration of the problem.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ward

Re: Quiz - Short Answer Formatting lost when delivered as LTI

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for the detailed report, Peter. I'll be interested to see what others report on this behavior.

Personally, I've been unable to replicate it locally, using master as both the provider and consumer and with the 'essay' question type (which I think is what you're using - not short answer as mentioned in the title of the post).

Just a few follow up questions:
How did you set up the quiz question - is it indeed essay?
Are you able to replicate this on vanilla Moodle installs?
Can you hit this problem in a normal browser session (i.e. not an incognito window)?
Can you hit this in other browsers too?

Ideally, I'd like to know we we can replicate this in a specific version of vanilla Moodle before we start creating tracker issues.

Thanks
Jake
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Peter Ward -
Hi Jake,

Many thanks for your testing.

Yes there is a typo in my title, I should have said ' Quiz - Essay Formatting lost when delivered as LTI'

We have also reworked our testing process as a result of your findings Jake and can now confirm.

The problem we reported does exist in Moodle latest LTS version 3.9.10 (vanilla)

The problem does NOT exist in Moodle latest version 3.10.7 (vanilla)

The problem does NOT exist in Moodle latest version 3.11.3+ (vanilla)

The solution is therefore to upgrade.

Thanks for your help Jake.
In reply to Peter Ward

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to pin down the problem to a specific version. Unfortunately, that branch is now in security-only support, so upgrade is indeed the best path here.

Cheers,
Jake