This connection is not private error on SOME mobile devices plus the app is very slow

Re: This connection is not private error on SOME mobile devices plus the app is very slow

by Lael Senanayake -
Number of replies: 3

@Ken Task, 

I couldnt find a techy student as such but I ran a android silumlator and tested the moodle app and lauched the the site via chrome. The results are the same: for android 7 below our site has the "connection is not private" issue on chrome and won't connect to site via the app. Site works find on Android 7 and on my PC. so, I don't think its a connection issue. 

Pls note: the test site one of you sent works fine on those devices. So, there's something from the moodle site I should change? Pls help figure it out. thanks

In reply to Lael Senanayake

Re: This connection is not private error on SOME mobile devices plus the app is very slow

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So you are saying nothing wrong with devices ... proof was using Chrome browser on device and no issue ... is that correct?   Chrome browser isn't the Moodle App.

So your server has been running https for how long?

'connection is not private' points to certificate for server.   So when you connect to your server via FireFox or Chrome ... not from a device ... the lock icon indicates the cert is ok ... it's not a broken lock icon?

Click the lock and get more info about the secure connection.

Everything OK there?

SOME mobile devices ... is key ... if students are using OLDER Android OS ... or an older IOS version, they will have problems using the moodle mobile app due to certs ... there is nothing you can do inside Moodle to make up for that.

But ... the server I pointed you do uses TLS 1.2 ... exclusively.

What you could try, briefly, to see if this does resolve, change your servers ssl config to use ONLY TLS 1.2

You can always change that back the config of ssl on your server.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Lael Senanayake

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Does your DB for the moodle have a table called mdl_user_devices?

Contains the following columns:

Field name    Type    Allow nulls?    Key    Default value    Extras
id     bigint(10)     No     Primary     NULL     auto_increment
userid     bigint(10)     No     Indexed     0    
appid     varchar(128)     No     None        
name     varchar(32)     No     None
model     varchar(32)     No     None        
platform     varchar(32)     No     None        
version     varchar(32)     No     None        
pushid     varchar(255)     No     Indexed    
uuid     varchar(255)     No     Indexed        
timecreated     bigint(10)     No     None     NULL    
timemodified     bigint(10)     No     None     NULL

You might query that table of your DB to see if devices are registering on your moodle ... and get info on what 'smartphones' they are using.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lael Senanayake -
thanks Ill check the above on the database,
Anyhow I managed to resolve the issue. the issue was our SSL certificate was from Let's encrypt where older android devices were not supported. so We decided to subscribe to another SSL certificate and it worked. Once again thanks for all the help and insight.