Clicking "fill in correct responses" in the STACK question preview will cause an error.

Clicking "fill in correct responses" in the STACK question preview will cause an error.

by Hiroki Kato -
Number of replies: 7

Hello, everyone.

I had no problem previewing STACK questions in the STACK plugin (qtype_stack 4.2.1 for Moodle 3.0+ 2018080600), but after upgrading the plugin I got an error in the STACK question preview. The STACK plugin that caused the error is (qtype_stack 4.3.8 for Moodle 3.5+ 2020120600).
I am having trouble finding the cause. Please help.

Attachment For 4.2.1 Preview question Simple question to check STACK Issue.png
Attachment For 4.3.8 Preview question Simple question to check STACK Issue.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hiroki Kato

Re: Clicking "fill in correct responses" in the STACK question preview will cause an error.

by Hiroki Kato -

This is a STACK question that I used for testing. Import them into your question bank.

Attachment Editing a STACK question.png
In reply to Hiroki Kato

Re: Clicking "fill in correct responses" in the STACK question preview will cause an error.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What does it say on the STACK heathcheck page (site admin -> plugins -> Question types -> STACK, then follow the heathcheck link).
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hiroki Kato -

Thanks for the support.

There is no error notation at the end of the health check script. The content is almost the same in version 4.2.1 and in version 4.3.8, no errors.

Attachment STACK healthcheckScript.png
In reply to Hiroki Kato

by Frauke Sprengel -
you can add "p" to the allowed variables or you take the first line ( tmpf(a):=block([p,q,r],p:a,q:a,r:p+q,return(r)); ) out of the question variables. Then, the question works.

STACK does not like the students to input variables used by the teacher in the question variables.
In reply to Frauke Sprengel

by Hiroki Kato -
Thank you for your support.

Can you tell me how to fix this specifically?
Also, why doesn't version 4.2.1 give me the error?
Has the specification changed?
In reply to Hiroki Kato

by Frauke Sprengel -
You can add the certain variable (here p) to the "allowed words" - in the section for "ans1", there is a field "allowed words" - fill in "p"

The better way is not to use a variable, expected in the student's answer,  in the "question variables" in a way, that it stand on the left-hand side of a ":" to get a value.

I think, this is a new feature in STACK to prevent you from possible errors.

I' m only a user - not a developer. I had the same issue with a few of my questions.
In reply to Frauke Sprengel

by Hiroki Kato -
Thank you for your support.

I set it to "allowed words" as you advised, and the error disappeared. Thank you very much.

I'll have to ask the STACK developers why it works this way, but it's a step in the right direction.

I will continue to wait for more information from you.