Enrolment on Payment - Paypal - VAT not being added

Enrolment on Payment - Paypal - VAT not being added

by polly pomfrey -
Number of replies: 2

We're using enrolment on payment in moodle 3.11, paypal is all set up, working nicely in terms of processing payments/enrolling in courses.

Just one problem - we need to add VAT (or sales tax) to all courses.

We have got VAT set up in our Paypal merchant account, but it's not being applied at the checkout.

I've googled around and searched this forum, and found this from 2009: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=135888 the poster says that they changed a setting in paypal and fixed it - but not what the setting was... I've had a good dig around and am stumped.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it please? 

Thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to polly pomfrey

Re: Enrolment on Payment - Paypal - VAT not being added

by Renaat Debleu -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Before 3.10, I gave discounts by adding a line to the enrol/paypal/enrol.html file:

input type="hidden" name="discount_amount" value=30

I presume extra VAT was added the same way. But nowadays I suppose Moodle is using the Express Checkout by PayPal. Express Checkout merchants must calculate and pass sales tax to PayPal.

In reply to Renaat Debleu

Re: Enrolment on Payment - Paypal - VAT not being added

by polly pomfrey -
Thanks for your reply Renaat. Having done a bit more hunting today, I suspect you're right that Moodle is using the Express Checkout.
Not sure there's any way round it. Will keep hunting, and if anyone has any ideas on how to sort it so Paypal can add VAT at checkout it would be welome smile