Adaptable theme not working - no theming/CSS

Adaptable theme not working - no theming/CSS

by Ondra Glaser -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,
I am running Moodle 3.11.3+ fresh installation and everything seems to be working well.

I installed Adaptable theme (I tried multiple ways - web install, zip plugin install, manual copy) newest version (3.11.0.3) and after switching to the theme, everything breaks apart. It seems like no CSS (no theming) is applied.
There are no console errors or anything that would guide me to the solution.

Any pointers on possible error/solution?

Thanks!

Attachment adaptable.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ondra Glaser

Re: Adaptable theme not working - no theming/CSS

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Clear caches
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ondra Glaser -
Cleared multiple times in Moodle and even running in incognito to be sure - doesn't help
In reply to Ondra Glaser

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I've done a clean install of https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_adaptable/3.11.0.3/25140 on '3.11.3+ (Build: 20210924)' and cannot replicate. Does your server pass all of the server checks?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ondra Glaser -
Thanks! it looks like it is some server problem - I tried older Moodle version with proper Adaptable theme and the same stuff happens.
I started (not sure if overlooked first or it wasn't there) getting 500 internal server error on

/moodle/theme/styles.php/adaptable/1633110626_1/all

That looks like it may be the cause...
In reply to Ondra Glaser

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok, I've not tested on HTTP. And given the 500 error, is there anything in the nginx server log? And in the 'Moodle data folder' on the server, what's the contents of 'MOODLEDATAFOLDER\localcache\theme\1633110626\adaptable\css\all_1.css' or is it empty?

by Ondra Glaser -
I am running on managed server so I don't have access to nginx server logs.
there is no folder 1633110626 under theme unfortunately. there is only 1633113190 which has only pix folder in it and pix/core and pix/theme)
In reply to Ondra Glaser

by Gareth J Barnard -
The long number changes every time you 'purge all caches' or change a given setting. It looks as if the file is not being generated at all. Is there any message if you turn on developer level debugging and purge all caches?

by Ondra Glaser -
No php errors/messages on page, but it created a few messages in dev console - see attached pic.
There is
moodle-core-event: Global event published: FORM_ERROR
and 
moodle-core-event: Global event published: BLOCK_CONTENT_UPDATED

The folder in moodledata with correct number got created now, but its content is the same as previously - no all_1.css
Attachment Snipaste_2021-10-01_22-43-07.png

by Ondra Glaser -
And we are up and running - no idea what exactly happened -> I was changing various settings - one significant was PHP max_execution_time - I set it to 1800. I did that change before and it didn't happen, so I cannot be sure that was the correct change, but it seems to be working now, so we will see if its stable.

Anyway I really appreciate your help!! Thank you
In reply to Ondra Glaser

by Gareth J Barnard -
Anything in the PHP log file?

by Ondra Glaser -
no errors in PHP log file, but I started getting 500 internal server error on

/moodle/theme/styles.php/adaptable/1633110626_1/all

That looks like it may be the cause