Questions about reusing moodle core code to write my own plugins.

Questions about reusing moodle core code to write my own plugins.

by Lawrence Lagerlof -
Number of replies: 1

Hi devs.

Currently I am developing my own Moodle plugins based on my needs, however now I need some advice about rights.

I want to develop a plugin that extends the "folder" internal plugin. I know I can't really "extend" a plugin, but what if I copy the code of an internal plugin, rename it, make some improvements and publish as a new plugin. Is this possible? The Moodle License (GLP-3) and Moodle development guidelines will let me do this?

Note that I do not want to plagiarize. I just think that publishing a plugin is far less bureaucracy than have a PR accepted to moodle core.

Thank you for any insights.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lawrence Lagerlof

Re: Questions about reusing moodle core code to write my own plugins.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - all Moodle code is GPL, so you can take it and modify it as much as you like, as long as you remember that everyone who gets a copy of your plugin can do the same.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'publish' - jf you mean to just stick it on github (or similar), then go for it. If you mean to add it to the Moodle Plugins directory (on this site), then you may well find that it gets rejected if it is only a very subtle variation on the original 'folder' plugin (as it's not in anyone's interest for the plugins directory to be full of lots of minor variations on core plugins). If, however, you're wanting to use it as a basis for creating something new and interesting, then it's much more likely to be accepted.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)