How to ask a student to answer an open-ended question to be presented back to them at the end of the course?

How to ask a student to answer an open-ended question to be presented back to them at the end of the course?

by P H -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I am new to Moodle, and am developing a short course on a Moodle instance deployed by our project. The instance was set up in the past year or so, unfortunately I don't know the exact version number we're using.

What I hope to do is to ask the student an open-ended question - probably as some sort of text input box - at the beginning of the course. This is for them to respond with their expectations going into the course.

At the end of the course, I hope to present to the student their answer, i.e. "This is what you entered at the beginning, has your views changed and what have you learned?".

As a newcomer to Moodle, it is not clear to me how this can be achieved.

Can anyone please advise on a solution? Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to P H

Re: How to ask a student to answer an open-ended question to be presented back to them at the end of the course?

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi P H!

Welcome to our community! There are many ways to build something similar to what you aim to achieve. The easiest way would be to create a Feedback type activity (https://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Feedback, with at least an essay / text box type field in it.

Another option is using the Database activity (https://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Database). If you set the students' submissions to require approval by a teacher, only the teacher and the student submitting it can read the text. Then, they may create a second submission after concluding the course.

Lastly, I could recommend using an individual Wiki activity (https://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Wiki) for something like this, with appropriate instruction.
In reply to P H

Re: How to ask a student to answer an open-ended question to be presented back to them at the end of the course?

by Rick Jerz -
In my courses, I have a "Student Information Survey," which is a Moodle quiz, where I as students 10 questions at the beginning of the semester, including "What are your course expectations." However, I don't ask them at the end "Have your expectations been met," but I could. Instead, students fill out the University Course Survey, and I also get feedback from another one of my own surveys using a Moodle quiz.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I have used the Questionnaire activity, and question type, Essay to ask both of these questions.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -
Just to go a step further, here is a screenshot showing my survey questions.  I have been using this survey for around 8-10 years, and it has served me well.  I teach at a Big 10 university, and "online."

Attachment Student Survey.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)