Backup Course feature no longer working

Backup Course feature no longer working

by Perry Way -
Number of replies: 1

Hey everyone,

We are just getting started with a rebuilt site after a ransomware attack (very long story, could write a book about everything that went on).

Our backup provider (name withheld to protect the guilty) apparently skipped a lot when it came to providing us a true backup for our Moodle site. So I had a copy on my development machine that I had worked on before publishing to our website (I needed to work on Theme styling).

So I took what I had on my development machine and restored that to our public site.

Of course we are having many problems getting started which this thread is not about (loss of student records in our School Management System)

The issue I'm here about pertains to today being term start date and I'm told by an instructor that one of the course builds didn't get restored properly. This has been a problem since day one, some bugs remaining in the Moodle 2 backup system. So my normal fix is to backup the Course "Template", then restore in to the Term Course for the correct time slot being taught.  I do that interactively using the website, whereas our templated system is programmatically done by an integration software that I built years ago and has been working perfectly excepting these Moodle 2 backup system problems.

This time when I went to back up the template course, instead of showing the page where you are presented with the course contents to visually select, etc, I get this text output that appears to be what I see in my CLI script when perusing logs

instantiating backup controller ea03cf41b0023c422b39b2c22b02efce
setting controller status to 100
loading controller plan
setting controller status to 300
applying plan defaults
setting controller status to 400
setting file inclusion to
checking plan security
setting controller status to 500
checking plan security
checking plan security
checking plan security
saving controller to db
calculating controller checksum 88ef4e3dddd2a257c72f6d88ac987503

This is happening in all courses that I attempt to backup. Any clues what would cause this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Perry Way

Re: Backup Course feature no longer working

by Perry Way -
Playing followup. I was able to get it working for a single course again.

I think the issue we are facing pertains to a corrupted Moodledata folder structure due to restoring from a spotty backup (it was all we had).

If anyone happens to know anything more, that would be great, but for this moment I think I'm going to turn my direction towards finding a way to perfect our Moodledata folder system, looking for ways to prune files that should not be there (our backup provider never deleted files no longer referenced so we were flooded with a ton of files that aren't necessary), and then finding references of files that aren't there that are referenced in the mdl_files table and then asking our instructors to delete whatever it says it has in Moodle and then re-upload replacement files. I'm hoping that will solve the rest of our issues.

If not, I'll be back here asking for more help.