Importing questions again, is there a way to overwrite the previous ones?

Re: Importing questions again, is there a way to overwrite the previous ones?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is a very old issue.

This is someting I think about from time-to-time. It would definitely be an extremly useful features to have in some situations. (For example, you could exploar a lot of questions, do a search and replace of one word for another, and then re-import.)

It is not going to happen any time soon, but in Moodle 4.0 we should have a new improved question bank. Among other things, that will keep the version history of each question, and I think that makes this feature easier to implement in future. Import does not completely replace the original question, it just adds a newer version. So, perhaps after 4.0 is out, we can come back to this idea.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ludger R -
Any updates about this feature?
It was also mentioned here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=417017

Moshe Kamensky planned on inplementing it (in case he sees this, don't know how to tag him).
In reply to Ludger R

by Michael Brenner -

I have the same problem and would love to have a solution other than having to delete old questions before or after uploading my GIFT file. I had hoped that questions would be substituted if I gave them a unique ID in the GIFT file, but, alas, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a recommended "hack" to work around this issue? Thanks in advance!

In reply to Michael Brenner

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

A more inteligent question import process is something I would really like to see implemented, but I don't see myself having time to work on it any time soon.

A while ago, I made the following notes (sorry, attached PDF file is not the most helpful format). And, I seem to have failed to write into that the bit about being able to import from the file as a new version of an existing question instead of as a new question - but I was intending to include it.

I am very happy if anyone wants to take this and run with it. For example, if there are any MUA members here, then please submit it as a project proposal. (I keep meaning to do that, then not having time.)