Workshop marks do not add up correctly

Workshop marks do not add up correctly

by Thinus Booysen -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, 

I tried to find this topic on the forum, as i am sure I am not the first person to come across it. 

I am running a workshop in which reports are submitted and then graded by three peers. Each report is assessed using three aspects, as follows: 

First aspect, point  = 0-5, weight =1. Second aspect, point = 0-10, weight = 1. Third aspect, point = 0-35, weight = 1. 

This is supposed to give a total out of 50. 

Accumulative grading is used, and 90% is given for the report, and 10% for the assessment. 

The mark out of 50, should therefore be converted to a mark out of 90. However, in some instances (I guess about 5% of the class) the marks are not accurately accumulated and converted to a mark out of 90 for a single assessment. 

For example, person A would give person B's report 3/5, 10/10, 31/35. This should add up to 44/50 = 88% = 79/90. However, when I look at the aggregated assessment for person A of person B's report, the mark is 75/90. 

I have not changed anything in the marking scheme after moving to the assessment phase, and I have seen this happen earlier in the semester too. My IT department (Moodle support) was unable to determine the cause. 

Can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thinus Booysen

Re: Workshop marks do not add up correctly

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think this recent discussion might help - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421420

In reply to David Mudrák

by Thinus Booysen -

Thank you. That makes sense. 

Is there any way to get the workshop to recalculate the marks to new weighting if the weighting is changed after half the class have done their peer-review?

T

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Does the Re-calculate grades button help?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Thinus Booysen -
No, the recalculate grades does not (seem to?) recalculate the individual assessments according to the changed weights.
I changed the weights according to your suggestion as follows:
3/5, weight = 1
10/10, weight = 2
31/35, weight = 7

I would expect this to give me 79/90, but it is still 75/90 despite me going to the Evaluation phase and clicking "Recalculate grades".

Edit: I also tried the Clear all aggregated grades without success. 

by David Mudrák -

Ah right. I am afraid, in this case, the students would have to go to the assessment form and re-submit it again. There was a reason for this behaviour but I can imagine it is quite annoying for you in this case.