Export question bank

Export question bank

by Jaffa Katie -
Number of replies: 2

I have many sets of questions. All laid out in a nice order in the Question bank. Each with a variant questions. I wish to export them in a readable form.

I chose XHTML format. They come out looking good.

EXCEPT they are all totally mixed up in order!

With hundreds of questions to review it is essential they are in order. 

Any ideas please on how to make them come out in the same order as they are listed in the question bank?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaffa Katie

Re: Export question bank

by Jaffa Katie -
CLARIFICATION on the question order output.
They are not totally mixed up I found (I can't seem to edit my original post). There seems to be some method to the madness, but don't understand why.
Within a category it presents the "a" version of the question, misses b and c, then presents the d version, misses e, f, g etc. then shows j if I have that many.
I have exported an upper category that has categories under it. and it presents each of those lower categories in order, but all the B and C questions under that category are removed for cat 1, cat 2,,, to cat 10. Then the cat 1 b and c are presented, then the Cat 2 b and c, so forth. Then all the Cat 1 e to i, the Cat 2 e to i, cat 3 e to i etc.

It does this  (pulls out the b and c, leaves the d, then pulls the e to I, and puts these  later) whether I try to export a pile of categories under an upper one I(in which case the pulled out ones get put down after all the sub category A questions and D questions), or if I just export one category.
In reply to Jaffa Katie

Re: Export question bank (sorting)

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I believe the underlying issue is that when viewing questions inside the Moodle web interface, questions are ordered by question name, but when exporting, they are ordered by internal question ID instead (equivalent to date/time of creation). A workaround might be to export the questions using the Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Question Format) plugin instead. The questions are still in the wrong order, but you can use Word to sort them quite efficiently. The Word export format uses the "Heading 1" style for category names, and the "Heading 2" style for Question names. Turn on Outline view in Word (screenshot 1 below), and then set the "Show Level:" field to "Level 2" to view all "Heading 2" styles (i.e. the question names, screenshot 2 below). Select the Heading 2 styles within a category and use Home > Sort to sort them alphabetically.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)