Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.11

Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.11

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I've updated Adaptable for Moodle 3.11 as follows:

Version 3.11.0.2 Moodle 3.11 version 2021051700.00 (Build: 20210517) and above within the 3.11 branch until the next release:

with:

1. Fix 'Actions' not available when editing, ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=425729#p1714807.
  2. Remove redundant CSS selector - #33.
  3. Fix 'Grader report preferences layout broken', ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=425016&parent=1715752.
  4. Remove redundant navbar toggler and tidy the CSS.
  5. Further CSS tidy and refactor some to SCSS.
  6. Settings in the CSS can now be pre-processed before passed to the SCSS compiler.  Thus enabling further transition to SCSS of the CSS.  This will reduce the amount of source 'CSS' and help to spot duplication and mistakes.
  7. Added extra information in the settings tabs about maturity of the release.
  8. Fix 'Userdata cache not used' - #247.

Crucially, I've added an extra bit of information above the settings that tells you about what the maturity state of the plugin really means:

With '6', the process identified unspotted issues / syntax problems with the CSS, which I have addressed, however this may mean a slightly different but 'intended' look in places.

If you find this post useful, then please mark it so.  Please report any issues with this version ONLY here.  Install and check completely on a test server before considering installing on a production server!  Seriously, do this!  Really do, you won't regret it and will save yourself lots of aggravation.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable updated for Moodle 3.11

by Greg Lind -
Thank you! I'm crying tears of joy on the other side of the pond.

Moodle 3.11.2+ paired with Adaptable 3.11.2 is attractive looking and the new method of guiding students through the material is a major level-up, in my opinion.

First I upgraded a beta duplicate of my production site, then after successful testing I updated the production site.

One question: is there a way that the update is "tagged" on Moodle.org? When I went to install the update from my site it said Adaptable was already installed, even though it was the 3.10 version and I had just upgraded to Moodle 3.11.2+. I ended up downloading the zip and unpacking it in my Moodle directory and changing ownership, then it updated smoothly. Just curious. It might be something on my end, such as Moodle.org being confused about which of my sites was production and which was for testing. I may not have registered my testing site correctly.

At any rate, thank you. I almost didn't upgrade because I was worried about the alpha release, and students are coming in five days. If I didn't update now I probably wouldn't have moved past 3.10.x till the end of the school year. This is awesome.
In reply to Greg Lind

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Greg,

Moodle didn't inform you about this new version, nor allowed you to install via web because your installation is not configured to do so.

You could go to "Site administration > Server > Update notifications" and choose for "Required code maturity" (updateminmaturity) the value "Release candidate" wink

HTH,
Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gareth,

Don't hesitate to copy/paste/adapt these tips/instructions when you post about a (new) version of a plugin in Moodle's plugin database, having a beta/candidate status. This could allow more people to install it simply on they're Moodle platform. wink

Séverin
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Séverin,

Good idea!

G....

Attachment Screenshot 2021-09-02 135434.png

by Greg Lind -
Thank you Gareth and Séverin. I appreciate your help and advice.
In reply to Greg Lind

by Gareth J Barnard -
Thanks Greg smile.

I'm completing all of the relevant fields when uploading a new version to the DB.  And I'm now adding:

$plugin->supported = array(310, 310);
etc.  To the theme's version.php file so that it states what versions of Moodle that version of Adaptable supports.  But I'm not sure if Moodle now warns on an update between major versions if a plugin that you already have installed is no longer viable for that version of Moodle.  However, Adaptable does detect this and puts a message in its settings area.

G

by João Paulo Abrantes Gaspar -

Hi there!

After they upgraded my school's moodle platform to version 3.11.2+, the adaptable theme (2.2.2  2019112603) stopped showing the "Activate edit mode" button in the courses. I tried to update the theme to the latest version but I get an error message. I don't have FTP access to moodle folders so I don't know what to do.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

João Paulo Abrantes Gaspar

Attachment moodlethemeinstall.PNG
In reply to João Paulo Abrantes Gaspar

by Gareth J Barnard -
As there is a write access check failure on '/var/www/html/esdr/theme/adaptable' then the only solution is to get FTP access or change the permissions of the folder in another way such as SSH logon or the hosting server control GUI.

This is a server config / install issue, not a theme one.

by João Paulo Abrantes Gaspar -
Hi Gareth

Thank you very much for your quick and wise support. I will try to get FTP access to do the upgrade.

Best Regards

João Paulo