Grading system in Moodle

Grading system in Moodle

by Jhon Bairon Figueroa Salazar -
Number of replies: 2

Kind regards teacher, I have a problem, I have not fully learned about the grading system in Moodle, that is, I do not understand how to make a course grade using the 1 to 5 system, or the letter system or the percentage system . I would like to know if the entire Moodle platform can be assigned a global rating system and how it is put. For example, I urgently need to change the rating system for some evaluations, but they appear in points, and what the client wants is for me to rate with percentages from 0% to 100%, but I don't see the option. I attach the image.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jhon Bairon Figueroa Salazar

Re: Grading system in Moodle

by Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Jhon,

The example you provided here cannot be done in scales or ratings. This is a quiz with questions that are marked by the system. You cannot have a quiz with ratings, but you can use ratings on assignments for example.

So if you want everything to be in scales, you need to use items in Moodle that can make use of it or it is not going to be possible at all. Keep in mind that this is an electronic system and any automation will need to be in grades or points and not ratings or scales.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jhon Bairon Figueroa Salazar

Re: Grading system in Moodle

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hola Jhon!

The screenshot you added, is the Edit quiz / Editar cuestionario page, where you manage the question items in a Quiz / Cuestionario. To be able to calculate a score (percentage or real), one does need a max points (sum of points for all question items) and a total points (points received for answering the questions) value. Total points / max points = result, and that can be displayed as a grade like 80 out of 100, or as 80%.

In itself, you don't set up the grade display bit in the Quiz / Cuestionario: instead, you have to go to the Gradebook setup. In Spanish this would be by going to Calificaciones > Configuración in your course. Here, you can edit the way each grade item is displayed to you and to your students:
  • Real
  • Percentage
  • Letter
  • Or any combination of 2 of these
Please have a look at the Moodle Docs on this here, as I'm sure the answers and solutions to your challenge can be found there.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)