Sharing plugin: Turning it on?

Sharing plugin: Turning it on?

by lucia liljegren -
Number of replies: 4

I installed sharing cart. I’m now trying to use it!  I’m not sure I know what to do. I did set it to let me share “quizzes” and looked for settings of things I want to share. (I didn’t see whole courses?)

So I went here:

https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Sharing_Cart

It tells me this:

---------

Operation
    1.    Turning On and Off: With editing on, add the Sharing Cart block from the block menu. After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" the next time you enter that course. When you go to another course, add the Sharing Cart block to that new course. Then you can see your Sharing Cart as you roam courses across a site. Click the "X" icon to turn "off" the Sharing Cart, although the contents of the Sharing Cart will remain there when you turn it on again.
---------

I'm trying to do the first sentence of step 1!

I think the above is telling me to to to the “course”, turn on editing, and then I should find something about the Sharing Cart in the block menu.  If done the former two.

But I don’t see anything to turn on. (Screen shot of course with block editing on below.)

Should I be looking somewhere else? Is there a setting elsewhere?

(Moodle 3.6.)Screenshot showing block

Average of ratings: -
In reply to lucia liljegren

Re: Sharing plugin: Turning it on?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
You need to add the block to your course page. At the bottom left of your screenshot, you will see “Add a Block”. If you’ve installed the plugin correctly, it should show up in that list. Add the block to your page and then you will be able to use it.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you Jon, for helping Lucia. My job is maintainer of the Sharing Cart and taking care of the documentation. From Lucia's question, I believe I should rewrite it to say...
------old------
Operation
1. Turning On and Off: With editing on, add the Sharing Cart block from the block menu. After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" the next time you enter that course. When you go to another course, add the Sharing Cart block to that new course. Then you can see your Sharing Cart as you roam courses across a site. Click the "X" icon to turn "off" the Sharing Cart, although the contents of the Sharing Cart will remain there when you turn it on again.
------new------
Operation
    1.    Turning On and Off: With editing on, add the Sharing Cart block from the "Add a Block" menu at the lower left of the screen. After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" the next time you enter that course. When you go to another course, add the Sharing Cart block to that new course. Then you can see your Sharing Cart as you roam courses across a site. Click the "X" icon to turn "off" the Sharing Cart, although the contents of the Sharing Cart will remain there when you turn it on again.
-----------------
Does that make it clearer?  And please let me know if any other parts of the documentation are ambiguous to you.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The “lower left” bit depends on the theme. It may not always be in that position. Maybe change it to

…from the "Add a Block" menu (in the Boost theme, that will be at the bottom of the Navigation drawer on the left of the screen),