Admin menus missing

Admin menus missing

de Rick van der Linden -
Número de respuestas: 11

I've been searching and searching, but can't find a solution to my problem:

I just updated to 3.11.2, and now I'm missing the Administrator menus, both in Site Administration and in Course Administration. The Site Administration only shows the search box:

The link in the left menu also defaults to /admin/search.php, while this used to link to the administration dashboard/menu structure. I can access all settings, but I have to know which settings there are in order to search them. Does anyone know a solution?

Promedio de valoraciones: -
En respuesta a Rick van der Linden

Re: Admin menus missing

de Giovanni Vosloo -
Hi Rick,

Just a simple upgrade of Moodle won't break the menus, so here are some questions/tips that might help.

• What version did you upgrade from?
  • Are you using a custom theme? If so, has it been installed after the upgrade, have you switched to the default Boost?
  • What plugins do you have, have they been installed, updated? Some might not be supported yet.
  • Check that the sit is not being held back, perhaps it is taking longer to load the menu due to other issues.

Would like to see this resolved, so I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Giovanni Vosloo from AOSIS (Moodle partner)

En respuesta a Giovanni Vosloo

de Rick van der Linden -
Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for your reply.
- I upgraded from 3.11.1, I guess. I just started building the site and was working on my first course when I got a message to upgrade.
- I switched back to the default theme and back again, but that didn't do anything
- No plugins
- The admin menu actually links to "https://knowledge.greenhousemarketeers.com/admin/search.php". I don't believe this should be the standard link, should it? I have never changed this, it just happened after the upgrade.

I have the same issue with the course admin menu, by the way. It only shows "Course administration", not even a search bar.

de Joost Elshoff -
Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Testers
Hi Rick,

The path to the Admin frontpage is correct, so no worries there. If you'd go to https://url.ofmymood.le/admin/purgecaches.php, you should be able to basically clean up any caches gone wrong. As Mary suggests, it may be related to JS stuff, that should be cleared once the caches have been 'emptied'.

de Giovanni Vosloo -
I am glad to see some other responses here as well, it helps to cover all angles. I have assisted with site upgrades each year for our clients and that is around 35-40 sites hosted internally and some 20+ externally. I have never had this problem before, but we also use the safest method in upgrading.

Are you using a built in automated installation or upgrade script? Most hosting solutions have those, did you use this method to upgrade your site? If not, how did you upgrade? It wold help if you provide some steps you followed etc.
En respuesta a Giovanni Vosloo

de Rick van der Linden -
Hi Giovanni,

I didn't find an automated upgrade script, but I did use the automated installation. The upgrade was done following the Moodle upgrade documentation: copy the site content to a back-up folder, deleted the files in the original folder, uploaded the unzipped new files and put back the config, theme and moodledata to the original locations. When doing the upgrade, there was an error with some plugin (I don't remember which), so I re-uploaded that folder, and the upgrade finished without a problem.

de Mary Cooch -
Imagen de Documentation writers Imagen de Moodle HQ Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators
Hello Rick. I am not a technical person but I had this issue with an earlier upgrade and it turned out it was related to Javascript errors - Require JS - also - have you tried purging the caches?
En respuesta a Mary Cooch

de Rick van der Linden -
Hi Mary. Thanks! Yes, I tried this, but it didn't do anything. I did see before that a default plugin for emojis was causing some javascript error. I didn't need it, so I deleted that plugin, and the error went away. Unfortunately, that did not solve the administration menu problem.

de Leon Stringer -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is the HTML for the Site Administration page getting transferred in full or is it being truncated? If you view the page source in your browser the page should end with some closing tags (</…>), the final two lines being:

</body> 
</html>

Perhaps there's some error causing the page's HTML to stop halfway through resulting in an incomplete page with the menu items missing.

Also, try enabling debugging either by changing Debug messages to DEVELOPER from admin/settings.php?section=debugging or adding $CFG->debug = (E_ALL | E_STRICT) to config.php. Then check the web server error log for any relevant messages.

En respuesta a Leon Stringer

de Rick van der Linden -
HI Leon,

Yes, the page is fully transferred. I changed the debug messages and got some errors with permission denied for .htaccess and public.txt. I changed the permissions, but nothing happens. I'm not sure how to see whether it is correct now and whether this can cause the issue.