Multiple Moodle Versions on a Single MySQL?

Multiple Moodle Versions on a Single MySQL?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Is it OK to run multiple versions of Moodle on a single installation of MySQL?

We are planning to run the following three versions of Moodle, each with a separate database, on a single installation of MySQL 4.1.18.
  • Moodle 1.4.5+ for some placement testing that uses the old detailed statistics package in quiz module
  • Moodle 1.5.3+ for current courses in production now
  • Moodle 1.6 for current courses that we would move/upgrade incrementally over the next several months.
Are there any issues with the compiled binaries of MySQL builds?  I am concerned whether the default charset of MySQL has to be UTF8. Or whether conversion of the database when moving to 1.6 causes some issues with the older Moodle versions that are still running?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Multiple Moodle Versions on a Single MySQL?

by denis cahalane -
Hi Don - we're doing what you describe, and all seems well. We have 9 instances of Moodle in one database (all with very little traffic of course), mostly 1.5 but one 1.6 and one 1.4.3. Mysql was upgraded to 4.1.18 two weeks ago.
In reply to denis cahalane

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks, Denis, that is helpful to know.  By the way, did you try to restore old 1.5 or 1.4 courses into 1.6?  We had two problems:  1) usually did not restore, 2) did not migrate to unicode automatically.  I assume these issues are due to our one month old 1.6dev version.  We will try 1.6 beta shortly.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Don,
Can you point me to a list of directions of how you did this install?  I want to put 1.6 on two different desktops that already have my 1.5.3 stable sandboxs on them.  KISS would be nice.   I have seen a few posts but they do not seem to be written for guys who learned wordstar on an old C/PM machine. big grin

The  1.5.3 stable complete install was so easy it was scary back in Jan 06.  Both boxes have Windows XP professional. 

If they don't exist, I think I have a clutzy work around (two complete installs in different directories).

Thanks  Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Chris Collman -
This post is like I have jumped into a conversation and I can not find the previous thread.  Oh well.  I will keep searching, I have time this weekend.  Thanks

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Chris,
To install multiple versions of Moodle on a single MySQL, you simply...
  1. name each moodle folder differently (moodle1.4, moodle1.5, moodle1.6), and...
  2. make multiple databases in MySQL (moodle, moodle2, moodle3)
We also just found out that you have to assign different cookie names to each moodle.  This can be done in the Configuration >> Variables page in the Admin.

by Chris Collman -
Thanks, I believe I am halfway there! My assumption is c:\moodle\moodle should be renamed or copied to c:\moodle\moodle15 and/or c:\moodle\moodle16.

How do I create multiple databases in MySQL? Remember I am relatively dumb, but adventuresome. Pointing me to directions is OK with me, I will see if they work for me. smile

On my sandbox called MoodleChris, I now have 1.6 beta 2 up and running and it converted all the courses (I told it the cookie name should be MoodChris16 but I think both use the same IP address). Naturally I first copied my entire folder c:\moodle (with Apache, MySQL and moodle etc in it) to c:\moodle15. And zipped it to boot as added protection. My Moodle 1.5.3 has a cookie of MoodleChris and the standard 127.0.0.1 IP.

So on my MoodleChris install, you are telling me to 1) rename c:\moodle\moodle to c:\moodle\moodle16 and 2) copy c:\moodle15\moodle to c:\moodle\moodle15. Then 3) create the multiple databases in MySQL (which I am going to learn how to do).

Next question is how do I enter each version of Moodle? I am guessing each would be associated with a different IP and a different cookie.

Thank you very much. When I have done it on MoodleChris, I will write up instructions and try it on my work sandbox MoodleGregg, then post it for other newbie's .

Chris

by Heather P -
You could download the tool MySql Administrator from the MySql site http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
This enbales you to create new databases and do backups etc.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Heather P

by Chris Collman -
YES!   Thank you.  I am into this a lot deeper than I expected. big grin  But that is why I love jumping off the cliffs and swiming with the sharks every once and a while.   It is so exciting and always novel.  

Thanks again.  Chris

In reply to Heather P

by Cory B -
You can also use phpMyAdmin it's a web based tool that allows you to do the same sorts of things.

by Chris Collman -
Hi Don,
That sounds entirely too simple. smile I think I have tried that, but I was so much younger then. In fact I did rename c:\moodle\mysql\moodle to moodle15 and changed the config.php pointer.  I think I got into trouble when I tried to rename c:\moodle\moodle to c:\moodle\moodle15. I will go back and check.

I have made progress: surprise Before I had a seperate Windows XP computer for each server that controls one version of moodle. I now have 1 computer, with 2 different servers, each directing a different version of Moodle. Creative copying of a directory and a quick edit on c:\moodle15\apache\config\httpd.conf and c:\moodle15\moodle\config.php, with a 127.0.0.15 IP and a moodle cookie of MoodleXV worked. Then it was child's play to install 1.6 in the old c:\moodle. Since I was on a roll, I renamed that directory to c:\moodle16 and the did the edits on the two files and the cookie.

Yes I have to start and stop each Xampp before the other will work, but that actually keeps me out of trouble. 

For those who stumbled here and want a longer non tech version of what I did on my XP standalone computer at home :  http://docs.moodle.org/en/Windows_1_computer_many_servers

It is dumb (techies please note), very specific to my machine, and does not rely upon renaming MySQL databases.

And thanks to everyone for their assistance.  I am still figuring out how to install PHPadmin, but I got MySQL admin working.  The whole process has been very educational for me.    Right now nothing is broke and I am happy !!!!big grin