HTML Editor and Dreamweaver

HTML Editor and Dreamweaver

von Diane Salamone -
Anzahl Antworten: 6

Hi!  I have been asked to investigate the possibility of using Dreamweaver to create and edit items to be put up on Moodle.  I have looked in the forums and I found that some people are using Dreamweaver, but I get lost with what they are trying to say.  I have never used Dreamweaver and I am not programmer, plus I am new to Moodle.  Can someone explain to me how I would go about using Dreamweaver in conjuntion with the HTML Editor blocks in Moodle.  I don't need any specifics on how to use Dreamweaver, since we will have someone else proficient in the use of Dreamweaver creating the code.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Diane

Als Antwort auf Diane Salamone

Re: HTML Editor and Dreamweaver

von A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Diane!

I use Dreamweaver in this way, and this is what I do:

1) Design the content in dreamweaver (text only, but it does tables, shading, and bullets). Warning: I have not tried to embed any styles, just pretty plain stuff.
2) Go to the code view and copy the portion that you want to put in Moodle
3) Open the HTML editor in the resource or block into which you want to embed the content
4) Look for the "code" button on the toolbar. It looks like this: <>
5) You will be switched to the code view where you can paste the code from Dreamweaver (or any other html editor).  Press the <> button again to return to the WYSIWYG view.

That is it!

I can't tell you how far you can push this, but that is the general procedure.

Hope that helps!
atw
Als Antwort auf A. T. Wyatt

von Diane Salamone -

Thanks for the response ATW!  When I want to edit the code that I pasted into Moodle from Dreamweaver is there a simple way to do it or do I just copy and paste again.  I thought there may be one main file that I can open on the Moodle server and edit it with Dreamweaver.

Thanks, Diane

von A. T. Wyatt -
It is possible that if you are linking to an html file rather than building one as a web resource that you could set up the site managemer in Dreamweaver to handle this. I didn't answer the question the first time with this in mind!

You would have to have rights to upload into your course folder on the moodle server.

You can certainly ftp files to the proper location if you have determined the path and you know the course id number. If you don't change the file names, but simply upload a new copy, I would think that the link would continue to work just fine.

If you added a new file, then you would also have to build a link to it in Moodle by choosing resources, and link to file. The file would already be there if you had uploaded it with some ftp client.

So there are two ways:
1) copy and paste into the web page resource. Changes would have to be copied and pasted again and
2) Upload the file into the course files area and link to it. If the same file changed, then upload a new copy and the link would already be in place. If a new file is added, then you would make a link to it with the link to file resource after the fact.  Or, use your DW site manager to directly edit the server side.  I rarely do that, being a big chicken!, but it is certainly possible.

Hope that made a bit of sense...They are really two different types of resources and you will have to figure out which one meets your need best!

atw

von Don Schwartz -
I use Dreamweaver for everything that Moodle doesn't edit.
Themes, css and php editing.
My moodle site is managed with DW site manager.  I have a local and remote copy and edit the local then use the Put command.  This is the only way I can work on my theme customizations and additions to headers and footers.
For Moodle internal html and labels you should stick to the built-in editor.  This code is stored in the Moodle database and therefore subject to the filters.  Your Dreamweaver code will be stripped away.  This is a good thing for the new or in-experienced user.  Pros can disable the wysiwyg editor (admin/editor) and paste DW code as raw html.
don
Als Antwort auf Don Schwartz

von patrick Frickel -
Great advice Don!
I've been thinking about using the same method and it's good to see someone else is doing ...gives me more confidence in adopting this method.

Cheers,
Patrick
Als Antwort auf Don Schwartz

von Joseph Rézeau -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers Nutzerbild von Translators

Hi Don,

You are able to use DW site manager because you are the Admin of your own Moodle site and thus have all the rights to do what you like. How I wish I could manage my Moodle courses through DW site manager (as I used to do with WebCT).

Unfortunately, one must always remember that in a number of situations (expecially with educational institutions), 'simple' teachers have far less rights than Admin.

>... Your Dreamweaver code will be stripped away. This is a good thing for the new or in-experienced user. Pros can disable the wysiwyg editor (admin/editor) and paste DW code as raw html.

The stripping away of DW code (well, some of it, anyway) may be a good thing for new/inexperienced users. It is probably very desirable in places accessible to the students (i.e. forums, etc.). Unfortunately, in current versions of Moodle, there is no provision for pro teachers (which I consider myself to be cool) to do what they want, because far too much of the power resides in the hands of Admin.sad

Joseph