Lesson with Audio File

Lesson with Audio File

by Kwab Asare -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

last year I created a listening test using the lesson function in our institution's version of moodle. Essentially we have the moodle interface with the institution's branding. 

All the students started the lesson at the same time. The lesson had an audio file of 6 minutes then there was an 'essay' to complete in the next chapter. It worked fine in a dummy run with 20 students. However, when we tried to use it with 150 students the lesson froze or students could not access the lesson. Often an error message appeared such as in the attachment.  We eventually had to stagger it through the day and it worked but it was not ideal as some students could tell the other students what they had done.

I am thinking of trying it again this year but instead of 150 students all accessing the same audio file. I was planning to create duplicates, put the students in groups of 20 and so each group would be accessing a different file albeit with the same content. My question is, will this help matters?

Also, our institution now has its server in the cloud and apparently, it has more capacity. So hopefully, that will help too.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Attachment error message.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kwab Asare

Re: Lesson with Audio File

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I don't know, I haven't ever tried telling 150 students to do something "right now." I do wonder if the audio file should be on a more powerful video/audio serving platform. I assume from your post that your audio files are in Moodle.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Kwab Asare -
Thanks. It wasn't "right now" as it were. It was more a case of say Monday at 10am. Yes, the video file was in moodle to try and control the number of times students listened to it. I might host it on panopto but to my knowledge, you cannot limit it to say two listenings there....
In reply to Kwab Asare

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
You can't limit it to two listenings anyway. A smart student who knows that they might want to listen to a video (or audio) more than twice would figure out a way to copy it. In fact, if you encourage students to download videos and audios, you might be able to reduce the load on your server. 🤔