User Can't See Roles under Profile Preferences

User Can't See Roles under Profile Preferences

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 6

Happy Friday Everyone!

I can't seem to find the permission that controls who can see their Roles under Preferences.  The documentation only states that it is controlled by a permission.  Anyone know which permission?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: User Can't See Roles under Profile Preferences

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Which documentation page are you looking at?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jackie Toth -
Happy Friday Mary!!
https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Preferences#Roles

There really is no information under Roles, however, under Miscellaneous it states all this is determined by permissions. I also believe it is is a permission controlling this because I can see my Roles when I am logged in as an Admin or Manager but Authenticated user and other roles cannot.

I tried to figure out which permissions it might be but couldn't find anything that made sense to me.

Hoping you can help me out. Have a great day!
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Jackie Toth -
Still in need on some direction regarding this question or confirmation that as Authenticated User you do not see Roles.
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Jackie. I think the documentation Preferences#Roles refers to managers or admins checking the roles of users such as teachers or students and not to authenticated users being able to check theirs. I tried to look for the specific capabilities for this but didn't find them (although I did find an interesting partially related forum post: Allow role permisson to modify user preferences [...].
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jackie,

Only users with the capability to assign roles (moodle/role:assign), override permissions (moodle/role:override) and review permissions for others (moodle/role:review) in the system context (by default managers) see the section Roles under profile preferences. They can review and change a user's role assignments and review and change permissions for the user.

PS I am moving this discussion to the Roles forum...

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jackie Toth -
Thank you so much, Helen, for the reply. Have a great day!