Digital Worksheets

Digital Worksheets

by Rosie CC -
Number of replies: 14

Hi

I work for the product development team at YMCA Awards. We would like to be able to offer our training providers digital versions of written worksheets, some of which include questions that require in depth answers (explain, describe, outline etc.).

We would like to be able to:

• Create explain, describe, outline etc. questions (either in Moodle or via an upload)
  • Functionality to allow for learners to enter written answers and save their progress through the worksheets and in turn for teaching staff to be able to view and mark this.
  • Provide staff the ability  (tutors, assessors, EVs, IVs) to share and download the digital worksheet.
  • Audio/visual features for the worksheets to aid dyslexic or hard of hearing learners
  • Grade reporting on worksheets (much the same way as eLearning allows tutors to view learners progress of the modules) 
  • Overall grade reporting including eLearning and the digital worksheets, so tutors can see their learners' entire progress across the different modules.

Is there any existing plugin like this for Moodle which we can install? Or a work around to achieve the same result?

Thanks very much, I look forward to hearing from you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rosie CC

Re: Digital Worksheets

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Rosie. First of all, how familiar are you with Moodle's existing features? For example the Assignment activity would do a lot of what you want and is standard in Moodle. Have you explored it? Does it not meet your requirements?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosie CC -

Hello Mary, 

Thank you for your advice. I wasn't aware of Assignments within our plugins, we don't usually use anything but SCORMs and PDFs! Haha

I shall take a look into it further and come back with any questions.

Thank you
Rosie

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosie CC -
Hi Mary,

We have since decided to use Quiz activity to create the worksheets we needed - which is brilliant! However is it possible to set a question to pass/refer instead of the weighting in numbers e.g 1.0 per question?

I have found a way to add a grade scale for Pass/Fail and assign it to this, but it shows at the end of the grade report for the activity and I can't get it to apply to the quiz at question level.

Also are we able to set up Moodle message notifications between tutor and student so they know when they have responded and marked/reviewed their answers etc.
I believe the messaging feature isn't something we have set up for our training providers in Moodle at the moment (as we only use eLearning).

Thank you!
Rosie
In reply to Rosie CC

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can't set pass/fail for specific questions in a quiz unfortunately. I am assuming you are using the Essay question in the quiz if your tutors are marking manually. You should be able to turn on Messaging from Site administration >Messaging >Messaging settings so the tutors can let the students know. At the moment it is not possible to send an automatic notification of an Essay question type that has been manually graded (but it is currently under development so hopefully soon. MDL-52456 )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosie CC -
Hi Mary,

Is there an activity in Moodle that can operate like an essay question that does allow for pass/fail grading to the question?
I have been looking at Lessons as I saw in the description it mentioned 'short answers' but I didn't want to spend time testing it if there isn't a workaround?

Thank you for all your advice so far!
Rosie
In reply to Rosie CC

by Mary Cooch -
Why not look again at the Assignment activity? Students can type directly into Moodle in the same way as for an Essay question in a quiz if you choose the Online text submission type and you can set a Grade to pass in the Grades section of the settings.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
+1 @Mary smile

If you'd create a scale in your course by going to Grades > Scales, you should be able to set up a Fail/Pass scale that can be used to assess and grade submissions. More info here: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Scales
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Rosie CC -
Thank you both Mary and Joost smile

I had tested the Assignments activity before as previously suggested however I couldn't find a way to set this up as a series of questions within one assignment as opposed to an assignment per question?
In reply to Rosie CC

by Joost Elshoff -
Well, that may have to do with the specifics of the Assignment and Quiz modules:

Assignment is normally used to set up a submission area where students individually or in groups submit a product (essay, image, video, project report, ...), which then is graded by a teacher / assessor using simple direct grading, a marking guide or a rubric (or any of the 3rd party plugins for that purpose).

Quiz is normally used as an activity for formative or summative purposes where students individually answer open and closed type questions, each of which will award a number of points when answered (partially) correctly. The open questions then have to be graded by a teacher / assessor.

Quiz doesn't allow for a Fail/Pass scale at question level, Assignment would allow for a Fail/Pass scale for every submission area.

Marking submitted answers to open questions in a quiz comes with optional instructions for the assessor, so you could just indicate: mark with 1/1 point if answer matches criteria, or mark 0/1 points if it doesn't.

On the other hand, Assignment is really elegant when it comes to in-browser feedback and grading of submitted text products, thanks to the almight Annotate PDF feature.

The other bit of your original post, on audio/visual aids for participants who have trouble reading / processing written text: there are quite a few service providers around with plugins for your Moodle. One of them would be ReadSpeaker, who have a really good plugin set, but this is a subscription service.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Rosie CC -
Hi Joost,

Sorry for the very late reply on this, I had to put this project on hold as other priorities took over.

Firstly thank you very much for the information above that has really helped me to understand the functionalities of those activities better. I believe I am therefore leaning more towards using Quizzes as the solution to our digital worksheets.

I just needed to clarify a few things from your response. From what I understand with having looked at Quizzes before - the questions can only be graded by a single user whether that be a tutor or an assessor, is that correct?
If we needed additional sign off features for an assessor and an IQA how can this be added to Quizzes? For example an assessor does not agree with the decision on a question that the tutor has marked as correct, is there a way for this to be noted against that question or a comments section at the end?
In general, we'd require an overall sign off from a tutor, an assessor and an IQA for the worksheet.

How would the Annotate plugin work with Quizzes?

Thank you I shall look into ReadSpeaker too.
In reply to Rosie CC

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Rosie - I' probably going to muddle this discussion with another activity suggestion. Both the Assignment activity by Mary and Quiz activity which Joost has pointed out can be used depending on what you want the students to experience.

Maybe using H5P interactive content can solve some of the questions you are asking like feedback on individual questions and the ability to have essay questions. In fact these essay questions can be auto-scoring depending on grading criteria. , H5P a lot or potential but does lack some features that you may want. 

We are starting to use the H5P Interactive Book to organize various H5P Content Types into a single activity. It allow instructors to put together large amounts of interactive content like interactive videos, questions, course presentations and more on multiple pages. Sort of like a mini course 'digital worksheet'.
In reply to Rosie CC

by Joost Elshoff -
All graded activities expect there’s only one assessor/grader, but there was some work done one a multigrader tool for assignment. One could always consider using the grading workflow bit of assignment so there’s always a second person in charge of releasing the grades.

AFAIK, there’s no way to gapen the annotations for quiz essay questions, as the Annotate PDF plugin was developed specifically for Assignment.

There is, however, an interesting use case for eAssessment developed by Moodle Partner Catalyst IT for Monash University in Australia, that may be of interest to you
In reply to Rosie CC

by Rosie CC -
Hi
Would someone know the answer to the question I replied to Joost?

Thank you
Rosie