How to make course visible and accessible based on course groups instead of site groups?

How to make course visible and accessible based on course groups instead of site groups?

by Luc Peulen - Train Charter Services -
Number of replies: 1

Good morning. We have a group of employees who are all assigned the same (company) function, e.g. "truck driver". For each type of truck they drive, they need to participate in a training / Moodle course. Chosing which type of trucks when is trained for is fully to the discretion of the driver, e.g. one driver might want to be trained for truck type A, B and C, while another driver might want to be trained for truck type B, C and E.

I created a site group "Drivers" where I join all employees with the driver function. Now I would like to create groups based on when they partake in a training, e.g. "Drivers for truck type A training on september 1" and join 4 drivers into this course group.

I'm looking for a way for a course to only be visible and accessible when someone is added to a course group, rather than a site group. I've not set up a site group synchonisation, but then of course all users in the Drivers group have access to the course, instead of only those who are in a course group. Furthermore, users should not be able to enroll themselves into a course group; that should be done by a teacher or admin.

Because there are also other courses, which are 1:1 linked to the user's function (e.g. safety training which is compulsory for all drivers) I would like to keep away from having multiple site groups to distincs between the preferences of drivers, but so far I didn't work out any other way to achieve my goal. Does anyone have an advice how to get this sorted?

Best, Luc

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luc Peulen - Train Charter Services

Ri: How to make course visible and accessible based on course groups instead of site groups?

by Chiara Di Terlizzi -
This is pretty complex. To answer the title question, I think is out of the Moodle logic to use groups inside a course to restrict the access to the upper level. You could put all the course content in one section and use the restriction settings -> group on the section.

However If I understood the whole thing I think you should use the enrolment duration feature, instead. So you enrol each employee to the course he want to partitipate in, setting the enrolment start and end.