Upgrade of Moodle docs and Ad-hoc reports page

Re: Upgrade of Moodle docs and Ad-hoc reports page

by Randy Thornton -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Thomas,

First of course, thanks for wanting to contribute.

Second, I don't think the old pages are worth fixing. All the stuff I removed from the 3.11 page was really, really old. Unless a particular plugin or code has made substantial changes to the database - and if it has it is almost always noted in the release notes for that version - then it will usually work reliably in the versions of the last couple years and often older. So, it depends really on which tool the query is drawing data from.

Third, I think in general it is okay to put these from 3.10 on the 3.11 page, provided that you know it is not using any new feature from 3.11, but using a feature common to both versions. When a page rolls over to a new version twice a year, there will always be some queries that may need tweaking. That's up to the author to do, but of course, we all have lives ;) So, usually this comes up when someone tries to use them and they break. Then that should show up here in this forum.

If you are in doubt, I would always be happy to test them out on 3.11 on my own test servers. Post them and let me know and I can take a look.

About the 4.0 backend, the only reliable way to get that is really to set up a server with the beta code and look at it (code freeze was last week). Sometimes the various Tracker items will talk about changes, but often the discussions are using the api calls and there's not much in the way of discussing database changes. I don't expect a lot of changes to most parts of the database since the foucs is on UI changes and that's mostly in the theme code.