Bulk Course Upload is too slow

Bulk Course Upload is too slow

by Gerardo Arroyo -
Number of replies: 7

Hi!

I'm using moodle 3.8 and the bulk course upload is just incredible slow. 25 new courses tooks 6 minutes to preview and almost 45 minutes to get the job done.

The rest of moodle works fine, I even try upgrading to 3.11 with the same results. 

Any suggestion?

Best regards

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gerardo Arroyo

Re: Bulk Course Upload is too slow

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Did you ever find a solution? I am experiencing this and I'm totally stressed out about it because I've just set up this whole system that relies on bulk copying from one term to another.
In reply to Blair F.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Are you using templates? If so, then it has to backup and restore those templates in the background.

Have you set the temp directories setting? https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Upload_courses#Increasing_speed

Using a command line tool like Moosh will certainly be quicker. See the course-create command: https://moosh-online.com/commands/
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Blair F. -
What we're doing is producing a list of current course shells in a category (term/intake) and then using that *.csv file to make copies of all of them with the new names and dates.

Although I'm administrator, I only have access to direct UI tools and nothing from the command line. That stuff is handled by our I.T. department.

I will check out both of your suggestions. Thank you for that, Randy.
In reply to Blair F.

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Blair,

Right, so "to make copies of all" means there's a backup and restore process going on for each one of those. Always a time suck. Doing that from the command line will speed it up, but by how much and whether it is worth the time saving and the effort to do so - that's another question.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Blair F. -
Yeah, that makes sense.

I hadn't mentioned this yet, but mine is now crashing and burning after a while. At times I get only 3 or even less courses out of a list. I used to be able to do 9 courses in one shot. Something on our end must have changed. Anyhow, thanks for your input, so far. I appreciate it.

I guess this puts a kibosh on my plan to copy entire programs and departments over every term. Back to the drawing board.
In reply to Blair F.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I do this every semester, just reference the old course as the template and let it run. It takes a while but doesn't affect the site while it is running, just my single browser connection. I just go away and check back later and they are all done.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Blair F. -
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing with one department for years now. But, now that I want to expand it to all departments, technology is letting me down. To be clear, I'm not trying to copy all departments at once. Just do the same thing for every department, one at a time.