online quiz: only essay equations, strictly sequential

by Uwe Brauer -
Number of replies: 3

Hello 

I would like to generate online quiz that consists only of essay questions, which are ordered strictly sequentially. However when I do this: I allow only one attempt to submit the answer and restrict the navigation to sequentially (instead of free). I run into the following difficulty.

When I do the quiz as a student, I submit the question one by one, but before submitting  the whole quiz I am offered to revise my already submitted questions. This however defies the whole I idea of a only-one-attempt approach. Is there a way to avoid that last question and just submit the quiz?

regards

Uwe Brauer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Uwe Brauer

by Greg Caskey -

paperwriter.one

Moodle: online quiz settings

Hello Uwe,

I think you might try to insert a Java script into the question to make it possible to skip it. There was a discussion in the Quiz section about adding and disabling quiz options.

Reconfigure Quiz Questions:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=168334
https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Quiz_settings

In reply to Greg Caskey

Re: online quiz: only essay equations, strictly sequential

by Uwe Brauer -
Hello Greg,

thanks for your answer. Indeed I found a proposed solution in https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=77&section=36
I tried to copy this script (using the HTML editor) into the question, in the feedback block, in an addtional HTML block, in 
the grader information, I attach the screenshot.
NONE of the method worked. I am desperate.

regards

Uwe
Attachment moodle.png
Attachment moodle1.png
In reply to Uwe Brauer

Re: online quiz: only essay equations, strictly sequential

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Uwe,

Although you can set navigation to sequential when all questions are displayed on the same page, sequential navigation only makes sense if the questions are displayed on different pages, usually one question per page.

When the navigation method is set to "Sequential" and students submit their attempt, the "Return to attempt" button, on the "Summary of attempt" page, returns students to the last page they viewed. If the last page they viewed is the last question in the quiz, students will not be able to see any of the previous questions since navigation is sequential.

To prevent students from viewing again the last question of the quiz, you can try to trick them by putting a description question at the very end of the quiz. If students view this last description question, when they submit their attempt and return to it, they will only be able to see the last description question and no other questions. This last description question could contain a message like "Important - You have tried all questions. You must now click on the "Finish attempt..." button.

If this works for you, you don't need a script.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)