Problem configuring Multi-factor authentication (tool_mfa)

Problem configuring Multi-factor authentication (tool_mfa)

by Pedro Gago -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

We are looking for a plugin to implement MFA in our corporate Moodle and I have installed the tool_mfa. The point is that I do not see, neither in the Moodle nor in the documentation, how to proceed with its configuration. I detail the steps I have taken so far to see if you can help me.
We have version 3.9 of Moodle. I have unzipped the zip file and we have this folder structure: /srv/moodle/application/admin/tool/mfa/moodle-tool_mfa-master

Apparently it is installed because it is shown in the Pluggins Overview screen:

But, from here on, a black hole: I don't see any options in the Moodle admin GUI. In the documentation it indicates not to try to configure from the GUI initially, but it does not say how to do it or I have not been able to find it.

Please, can you give us any indication to continue? Maybe there is any problem with the installation? Maybe anything is missing?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pedro Gago

Re: Problem configuring Multi-factor authentication (tool_mfa)

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Pedro,

Did you take a look at the README.md file included with the plugin? There is a like to it on the plugin page called More Documentation On This Plugin which points to https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-tool_mfa/blob/master/README.md

It contains a lot of information. The plugin worked well for my admin user the first time I tried it but I highly recommend that you fully test it with several users and roles, successes and failures before assuming that it will work for all of your users in your environment.

If you need support, see https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-tool_mfa/issues - not the link at the bottom of the README.md file.

By the way, the version on Github is often more recent than the version on moodle.org so you might want to avoid some frustrations and get it from there instead. For example, it was last updated on GitHub just 17 days ago.

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Michael
In reply to Michael Milette

by Pedro Gago -
Thanks Michael, but I have checked the readme.md file several times and this is the only thing it says about the configuration: “WARNING: Do not try to fully configure this plugin in the web GUI immediately after installation, at this point during the upgrade process you are not actually logged in so it is easy to 'brick' your moodle and lock yourself out." Right after that, he starts to talk about the different factors. In the issue list it does not clarify anything about it either.
Where did you configure it? Any config file? In the GUI?
Regards,
In reply to Pedro Gago

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Your installation directory is definitely incorrect. Please take a close look at the general plugin install docs, I suspect this might be the first plugin you have installed?

You have an extra directory that shouldn't be there.

The plugin should be in the root of: admin/tool/mfa
Eg the following file should exist:
admin/tool/mfa/version.php
Not:
admin/tool/mfa/moodle-tool_mfa/version.php
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Pedro Gago -

This has definitely worked. Thanks Dan.

I have another question. I'm running various tests and trying to use the security questions method. But I can't find where these questions are configured. Can you help me with this? Thanks.