How to be only a Learner in a Course

How to be only a Learner in a Course

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 4

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

We can only have one user account for all users of Moodle.  Some of our users have multiple roles such as Manager and Course Owner.  When they enroll in a course as a Learner, some of the permissions from Manager will still be in effect.  How can we have them be able to do nothing but what a Learner should be able to do?

Would having them switch to Learner role via Profile do that?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: How to be only a Learner in a Course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't think they easily can - and the "Switch to" feature doesn't work exactly as expected -for example you don't see the submit button for assignments if you just "switch your role" to.
Also - this isn't entirely a duplicate of the your forum post: Standard course certificate displays list of earned certificates but it is pretty similar.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jackie Toth -
Thank you, Mary! I was pretty sure that was what you would say. I wanted your opinion as an authority on the subject. Have a great day!
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Jackie,
An alternative would be to have separate accounts for users who have higher level organisational roles such as managers and course owners. We encourage organisations to create separate accounts for users who are site admins or managers on a daily basis, but also have to be teachers and/or learners in the same instance. They should only use their admin accounts when they need it, and use the regular account for teaching or participating in a course.

A second recommendation would be to assign higher level roles in as narrow a scope as is possible and required.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: How to be only a Learner in a Course = use two users & two browser

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers
After many years with Moodle, I recommend to have a second "Student user" for creating and testing courses. And I can recommend to use two browser (not only browser windows) at the same time.
I use Firefox for the teacher role login, and Firefox private (incognito) Window for the student role login.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)