I have finished a beta version of the Moodle Gallery Module (MGM), which embeds Gallery2 into Moodle . This module has been developed at Humboldt State University with the guidance of Michael Penney. You can find the code in contrib/gallery. Please refer to the README.txt for installation instructions and to the module's help files for some guidance in using the module.
- Each MGM instance is linked to its own Gallery2 Album (automatically upon creation). While viewing a MGM instance, it appears as if it has it's own top level (or root) Gallery2 album to which one can add sub-albums, images, comments, etc.
- When a MGM instance is deleted, so is its linked Gallery2 album and all its content.
- User Synchronization: Users are created and updated on the fly.
- Group Synchronization on the fly.
- Permission Handling: MGM uses Gallery2's permission system to restrict the view of albums. This way, sneaky users cannot peer into albums that belong to other courses . Also, permissions for Teachers are set by Moodle admins in the MGM module settings screen and permissions for Students can be set for each MGM instance (the Student default permissions can be set in the MGM settings screen as well). Teachers can only give permissions to students which they themselves have. Example use: Allow students to view the album but not add comments.
- MGM instances can even be backed-up and restored! The backup procedure copies over Gallery2's album, sub-albums, images, and comments (including all details associated with each item) that are related to a specific MGM instance. Restore will then recreate the before mentioned items to their original, backed-up state into Gallery2; creating a new MGM instance.
- Migrate the Gallery2 bread crumb trail to Moodle's bread crumb trail.
- Create a Moodle-like theme for Gallery2 (hopefully someone who is talented in theme building can tackle this).
- And... open to suggestions.
PS: I'm guessing that you will be able to download the Moodle Gallery Module from here after a nightly build of the contrib files.