Error when try to Edit User Profiles

Error when try to Edit User Profiles

by Paul Raper -
Number of replies: 4

I have a curious issue. I was running Moodle 3.10 and was able to access and edit the profiles of my users as the main administrator.

Now, I have upgraded to Moodle 3.11 and for some curious reason I now get an error message when I try to access the user profiles. Thinking that it may be some sort of application glitch, I have just upgraded to 3.11.1, and the issue is still there. Any thoughts? 

Incidentally, I am also running a Moodle 4.0 Alpha site, and I do not have this issue.

Attachment Moodle Error.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Raper

Re: Error when try to Edit User Profiles

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What theme does the site have? And what web server (Apache, Nginx, etc.)?

I've had this problem with Apache's mod_security on managed hosting before. The problem only happened with the third party theme, not Boost. I ended up turning mod_security off. That's probably not the correct solution.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Paul Raper -
I'm using the New Default, which I believe is Boost Theme, it's basically configured exactly the same as my development site with Moodle 4, which is why I am surprised to be getting these issues.
In reply to Paul Raper

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
403 indicates a range of problems - but is likely to be either file permissions or ModSec rules.

Is your dev site on the same server/domain as the site you’re having the issues with?

I agree with Leon that it’s probably related to ModSec rules, usually triggered if you’re adding a url or image. I see them frequently kick in in user profile, html block, etc.

You can turn them off - but they’re there for reason, so probably best to identify which ones are being triggered and whitelist the “offenders”.

1. Switch debugging on to Developer level.
  2. Try and replicate the error.
  3. If the problem reoccurs, note the time and the url.
  4. Check your server logs.
  5. Raise a support request with your hosting provider with details of the url, time and your IP address and ask them to check if one or more ModSec rules were triggered.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Paul Raper -
Hi John,

So ok, that is a really thorough and useful piece of advice.

So firstly, yes the two Moodles are on the same server, whether it is a disadvantage or an advantage seems to vary on who you talk to, but either way, they are in principle both development installations of sorts. I run and administer a full production version else where, so primarily use these Moodle for compatibility testing, and trying out any new ideas before taking them to the production site.

Since these are on my own server, I can go take a look at what is happening, and it is really useful to have a heads up before I go rummaging around looking for the proverbial needle.

I was more surprised that the error started to occur at all since I hadn't done anything apart from update the versions, me being pretty much the only person using the system, I do have one or two testers who come in from time to time just to prove something or other.

Ok, thanks for the tips, I'll post back my findings.