"school user" in a multi-school moodle instance

"school user" in a multi-school moodle instance

by Goal Fit -
Number of replies: 5

Found some similar discussions but couldn't find any which solves our problem, so this post.

We are planning to host a single moodle instance, having few courses and serving few schools. Each school can opt for all of some of available courses. So potentially one course might have "student users" from multiple schools. Teacher will be course wide, not related to a particular school, as teacher is not from school side but from our side. All seems to be fine except two things are not clear
- Can each school see only its own students (their report, progress etc) and not see other school's students. Not that students from all the schools are sharing same course.
- Similarly, can student see only their school-mate in a course, not other school's students.
How should we implement above using existing Roles/permissions/capabilities? It's okay if we have to install some plugin to make it work.
Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Goal Fit

Re: "school user" in a multi-school moodle instance

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's no concept of a 'School' in Moodle, nor is there true 'multi tenancy' but I don't think you need to go that far.

To address the easy problem first, by default (I think I'm correct) students only see their classmates in the courses thay are in.

The other, there will be several ways. I would use Course Categories to separate the schools. You can then assign Managers to the Course categories to have control over their own schools. What you cannot do is to allow them to add/delete users for their own schools as that is currently a site activity (you need to be an administrator). You can create new roles with limited rights to assign at the site level (e.g. only create new users). You should probably read/understand course categories and a bit more about how roles and capabilties work

Others may have better/different ideas.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Goal Fit -

Hi Howard -

Thanks for taking time to give ideas. But I am not sure we are taking about same problem. To clarify the problem so we are on same page, let's take a concrete example.

Let's say there are 2 schools, S1 and S2.

And 4 students, 2 from each school. A1,A2 of S1; and B1, B2 of S2.

And only 1 course, say C1.

What we desire it that school S1 and S2 each get some sort of login which allows them to see progress of their students and not other school's students. In this case, S1 should be able to see only A1 and A2. S2 should be able to see only B1 and B2.

All 4 students have student user and taking same course C1. But again, A1 should be able to see only A2 and not B1, B2. Similarly any Bx should be able to see only other Bx.

In reply to Goal Fit

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No. That's proper "multi-tenancy". Moodle doesn't have that.

You might want to look at www.iomad.org (a version of Moodle with multi-tenancy extensions). Although that's more for corporate training.
In reply to Goal Fit

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If I understand, you want one course that has students from several schools, but you don't want the teachers or students to know anything about the other students or their schools.

If this is what you want, then it seems that you will not be having any "join" activities, such as forum discussions.

At first, I thought that you might use "groups," but some of the management of groups might be more than you will be able to tackle until you are much more familiar with Moodle. However, you should still explore groups.

Next, I wonder why you don't create a course for each school? This might make your "privacy" issues easier to manage. Moodle does offer the concept of a "master" course and "slave" courses, but I don't use this feature and this is about all that I can say.

Last, I am sure that you have reasons, but what's the big issue of having students know who all their coursemates are?

So, the answer to your question is that Moodle can serve your needs, you just have to decide how and where you want to invest your time into moodle, course, and student management.
In reply to Goal Fit

by Goal Fit -
Let's take a concrete example to further explain the situation.

Let's say there are 2 schools, S1 and S2.

And 4 students, 2 from each school. A1,A2 of S1; and B1, B2 of S2.

And only 1 course, say C1.

What we desire it that school S1 and S2 each get some sort of login which allows them to see progress of their own students but not other school's students. In this case, S1 should be able to see only A1 and A2. S2 should be able to see only B1 and B2.

All 4 students have student user and taking same course C1. But again, A1 should be able to see only A2 and not B1, B2. Similarly any Bx should be able to see only other Bx.