I am glad to hear you have regained control of your clue buttons
The double brackets are appearing because you have not installed the hotpot messages file yet. Here's a snip from the README.TXT file on how to do that:
On Moodle 1.5 and earlier:
(a) download http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/lang/en_utf8/hotpot.php
to "lang/en/hotpot.php" on your Moodle site
(b) download the files in http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/moodle/lang/en_utf8/help/hotpot/
into "lang/en/help/hotpot/" on your Moodle site
Regarding the status and results of the quizzes, please remember that the results are NOT stored when you click the breadcrumbs. The results are only sent back to Moodle if click buttons in the quiz ("check", "hint" etc).
To verify that Moodle is storing the results of your quizzes, please could you try the following test:
- add a short HotPot activity to your course that we can use for this test
- attempt the activity and answer all the questions correctly. Please do not click on the breadcrumbs or any navigation links. Allow the quiz return to the course page automatically when the quiz is completed
- click on the "Hot Potatoes Quizzes" link in the "Activities" menu on your course page
- click on the link which says "View reports for 1 attempts (1 Users)" for the test quiz
- verify that the status of your attempt at the test quiz is "Completed" and that there is a link to the results of the test
I am particularly concerned to know what happens in step 2.