LTI deep linking adding multiple content items request hangs

LTI deep linking adding multiple content items request hangs

by Dustin Fast -
Number of replies: 0

UPDATE

This error appears to only occur on Google Chrome.  There is no error on Firefox 89.0.2 (64 bit)

I am using  Canvas Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

I have developed an LTI 1.1 deep linking tool that returns multiple gradable content items.  

I am testing on our AWS Bitnami LMS powered by Moodle instance which uses Moodle 3.11 on a t3a.small instance size (2GB memory).

Moodle is able to connect to the tool and moodle accepts the links and displays them on the "Adding a new External tool" page.

After clicking "Save and return to course" moodle adds multiple content item links to a point (approx. 66 items) but then freezes on the next request and does not respond.

I have to kill the tab to be able to access moodle again, even in another tab.

I have attempted the following to try to narrow down the problem

Logs

Nothing in apache logs.

Nothing in Maria logs.

On a fresh course

Use "Adding a new External tool" Request deep linking with 58 gradable content items WORKS
Use "Adding a new External tool" Request deep linking with 14 gradable content items in same course HANGS after 12 content items added
Kill the tab then use "Adding a new External tool" Request deep linking with 1 gradable content item in same course WORKS

77 total gradable items created

On a fresh course

Use "Adding a new External tool" Request deep linking with 100 content items  HANGS after 66 content items added

66 total gradable items created

This tells me that there cannot be a hard maximum of grade columns.

Tried upping PHP settings

max_execution_time = 320
max_input_time = 240
max_input_vars = 3000
memory_limit = 512M

no change

Tried upping instance size
From t3a.small (2GB memory) to t3a.large (8GB memory) and increased PHP settings above more.

no change

I could not find any reference anywhere to a maximum number of grade columns or maximum LTI content items.

Average of ratings: -