Moodle Podcast now has a name, a logo and a first guest

Moodle Podcast now has a name, a logo and a first guest

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 12
Hi all. I have been working with Bill over the last week to come up with an identity for the Moodle podcast.

The name will be "mCast". Short, sweet and to the point.

I have come up with the following logo for the Podcast.

I will let Bill announce the guest (just in case it's meant to be a secret) wink
Attachment mcast.jpg
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: Moodle Podcast now has a name, a logo and a first guest

by Bill White -
Thank you Julian for the logo. Looks great! cool

Yes, the first guest has been chosen and will be announced in a short time.
Martin Yelland and I will be hosting the first mCast. Date: tba

Just a few things to iron out before we record and publish. We were thinking maybe a few of you could host the podcast on your servers to help keep people from using up all their bandwidth. We would post links with locations so people could choose one that is close to them.

Also, please send us any ideas you have or if you are interested in participating.

Bill
In reply to Bill White

by M Y -

Julian that logo is great!!!

Bill and I have a bit of "Ironing" to do as Bill but it.

Julian, would you be able to host a website for the mCast?

I was thinking PHP-Fusion as it has many features that we can use and I think it also has a blog plugin.

Martin

In reply to M Y

by Julian Ridden -
I could host this as a course inside the PlayPen. The site has the Podcast module installed which will allow for the podcast to not only be listened to from the site, but also added to the iTunes podcast Library.

PlayPen now also has the new 1.6 Blog code introduced allowing for blogs and lastly forums for in depth discussion after each podcast.

If we are doing a podcast about moodle, would make sense to host the podcast on a moodle site would it not?

i am happy to develop a custom theme to give the site a "mCast" look and feel as well.

by M Y -

Thanks for all your help Julian!

I guess hosting it on Moodle would be better and if it is on iTunes more people will hear about Moodle.

I would be willing to mirror the podcast for the UK from 6:50 to 10:00 UK time. My server is online online during the day when it is used.

(Someone will have to explain how to smile

Martin

In reply to M Y

by Julian Ridden -
A thought on mirroring.

Two ideas.

1. If you have moodle and the podcast module installed. Then a course backup from my site and restore into yours.
  2. Of course, MP3 files really can be stored anywhere. SO we have the podcast on one site and links to the current episode MP3 on mirrored sites.
Thoughts?

by Thomas Dolsky -

I'm glad to hear the ipodcast module might get some more use soon.  I guess I should finish testing the backup and restore this week. 

The mirroring is a very interesting idea.

I have a customer asking for this very scenario.  She wants to record and post her podcast on a local moodle server and then move the podcast easily to a statewide moodle server.  Something a little more user friendly than backup and restore would be a nice add. 

If any fuctionality needs added or changed feel free to drop me a message and I will see if I can't get it taken care of.

Tom

In reply to Bill White

by Dan Stowell -
If you want a very good and robust way to host the MP3 files, then hop over to the Internet Archive - they're a fantastic project which aims to store digital media for hundreds of years. The Ourmedia project builds podcasting functionality on top of the Internet Archive.

I think this approach is much more resilient than the idea of us all trying to chip in and help with mirroring/hosting (and cope with the confusion that would ensue). I really don't care that they aren't using Moodle for their podcast system (they're using another friendly open-source project, Drupal). The Internet Archive has quite strong experience of large-scale bandwidth and filestore provision, and they're offering it for free...

by Sean Keogh -

So, what happened with the mcast?

Is this still going to happen?

If I can help out at all, I'm happy to do so.

Sean K

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We recorded one but they had some problems with the sound at that end and it wasn't usable...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Sad. Really sad.
Those of us who are using the ipodcast module should just start posting Moodle-related episodes.
Anyone here as a public podcast we could lead students to?

BTW, Concordia University is handling the recording and processing of my lecturecasts, through Moodle. No idea if it's common now but it's nice to have it as a service from the university. Otherwise, I was going to handle all of it myself, which could have gotten a bit too involving.